New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new cold weather clothes are a little bulky for archery.

I think a compression sleeve would be to constricting.

I was going to get the Diamond Armguard or larger trad arm guard.

Any thoughts or reccomendations?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I usea traditional armguard...gets the job done but I was thinking of getting a compression sleeve on my next trip to Cabela's...does anyone here use a compression sleeve?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
What is the strap that goes around the shoulder and under the arm pit called? It looks like a triangle with straps. Anyone know who make it? It helps keep the chest area clear of clothing by pressing it down!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
You can make a compression sleeve out of a dark sock, or camo sock.

You can also wrap string/cord/webbing or your bow rope around your sleeve to hold down bulky clothing.

Chest guards are made by a few different companies...heres some;Chest guards

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't use anything. Shouldn't effect arrow flight to much.
My sleeves are catching the string. It is affecting arrow flight.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Matty,

I shoot right handed, meaning the left chest is what I want to compress, which one do I buy left arm or right? They don't specify left chest or right chest?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
To be honest, Im not certain. Im assuming you would need the RH one.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I use rubber bands. Nice and cheap, easily replaceable. Can put them all the way up your sleeve to keep things down! ;)

I have an armguard too that I use sometimes, but rubber bands about 90% of the time. I tried a compression sleeve from BuckWing and it pretty much blew monkey chunks. Not applicable for a jacket at least.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
LOL, anyone going to tell him that chest guards are for chicks?

-d

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Once I was at Targeteers and I overheard/eavesdropped Joe Caruso giving someone a shooting lesson. He advised them to not lock their front elbow..to leave it slightly bent. This way when you release the bow moves more toward the target. I tryed it and it improved my shooting. The side benefit is that I never needed any kind of arm guard again and I never hit a puffy sleeve from a heavy jacket either.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
230Gr,

Yes, many say to bend the elbow. I do, and I also never need and arm guard with a compound. However, with my recurve, I do. But I think that is because of the string getting pushed towards that arm on release.

-dan

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Bending the elbow is the correct way, and I shoot with a bent elbow as well. However, when you are bundled up like the Michelin man for a winter bowhunt, you still run the risk of hitting sleeve. Get that sleeve down and out of the way, because that arrow wont go where it needs to if you hit your sleeve. Better safe than sorry....thats the way I look at it.

As for the chest protectors, they are mainly for female archers...LOL @ Dan :D...BUT...they work great for heavy winter clothing as well.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for the chest protectors, they are mainly for female archers...LOL @ Dan ...BUT...they work great for heavy winter clothing as well.
When Chuck Adams took his Arctic game - he used a chest guard to keep his clothes tucked in.

I don't normally use an armguard for compound, but the sleeves on my jacket are interfering with the string. I do keep my arm bent as I have been instructed that this is the correct arm position.

I like the rubber band Idea, either that or thin velcro strips.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Those things are gay learn how to shoot with out it.You might as well were a traning bra. Traditional leather arm guard is all.Sinch it down over your arm.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Drawling a traditional bow is a push pull anyhow. When you lock your arm you have a tendency to clinch and peek to see the arrow. Stay loose and bare down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts