New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a website for everyone to check out and see what you think. i have only been here in NJ for 4 monthes, and i have noticed from talking to all you that you have issues with your wildlife management situations here. I am a die hard hunter, and love all aspects of hunting, fishing, and wildlife. Coming from PA i never had to deal with to many political issues that affect hunting. But since being in NJ, it bothers me to see that there is no respect for the sport we cherish so much. I am only 28, but the sport of hunting has been sround since before politics were ever even thought of. I always wanted to hunt in NJ, but it seems so difficult to do so, there are so many restrictions and laws governing the whole sport that it makes me sick. I would like to think that my thoughts and ideas would make a difference, but unfortunetly it seems like to many non hunters have there hands in the cookie jar so to speak.

I just wanted to post the PA website so you guys can see how much hunting regulations are messed up over here.

www.PGC.state.PA.us

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Thats NJ for you... This State is so over populated it isn't funny. Pennsy is better in someways when it comes to hunting, but so is Jersey. To say one state is better then the other is compairing Apples to Oranges.. Or in the hunting world Anti's to pro's. Jersey may have some dekcuf up rules but we all have rules. You can't drink and drive, you can't smoke that in here, You do this..you can't do that. I'm just glad I can hunt, If I have to go to Pennsy for deer/bear so be it. If I want to stay here in NJ and hunt so be it too. We know where not like other States. That is why we as hunters need to let our voices be heard. Take " Bacs" He start the Sunday bow hunting bill ( I hope I'm right on the Bacs ) and for us to make a difference we have to go and tell the F&G what we want and need. The Next meeting is on Tuesday, April 12 at 10am at Central Region Office, Assunpink WMA . If you can make it come and be heard.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll go to any meeting that i can go to and speak my voice. they need to hear from the people who enjoy the sport, not the ones that never done it before

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I grew up and hunted PA my entire life... until I moved to NJ...now I seem to be a NJ only hunter. [smirk]

PA might expand the "shotgun only" zones. Most likely because of the pregnant woman getting hit with a stray bullet. Freak accident... probably...political implications... definitely.

During the PA 2-week buck only season you can use whatever you want: crossbow, handgun, rifle, muzzy, shotgun, bow, cannon (just kidding), etc.

I like in PA...if you are bow hunting in certain populate areas... the 150 yard becomes 50 yards.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like hunting pa, but always wanted to hunt nj, i am not saying pa is better, cause every state is different. But some states could follow example from the others. I dont'l like some of the rules in pa, and they are gonna change cause of the pregnant woman. but in pa there are less polititions involved and more hunters invlolved in most of the laws and regulations

·
11,226 Posts
NJ needs alot of these rules due to the fact we have so many people crammed into such a tight area!
NJ is the front line when it comes to the war between hunters and anti's! This fight is so important here! If we lose our leg hold here it will quickly spread to the surounding states! It is a sad fact of life that NJ hunters have to get involved in the politics to counter the strong forces working to take away our rights! We can't let that happen! WE have to keep fighting the good fight! If we lose here PA will be just as political in know time! The anti movement is spreading like a disease! We need to keep it under control before it kill's our way of life all together! Get involved and make yourself heard! This is a fight we must and will win!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you drag, that is why i always wanted to hunt here, it just seems like they aren't apt to change here

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I didn't mean it in a bad way..sorry But what jersey is doing now others did years ago... I think it was Kansas didn't let non res hunt in there state till the 70's or 80's ( I Think My info is right ) So someday Jersey will be kinda like others, Till then we must play there game and fight when we can

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not too many people want to actually get involved, they will speak their minds to buddies and fellow hunters, but when it comes down to it they don't speak to the right people, and then when something they don't like comes down, they just bitch about it. That is why, like jersey jim said, we must speak out, and fight to win and will win

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
imb21 - anytime something political (related to hunting) comes up...its posted here immediately.... WAY before the newspapers or tv.

If you go under political action... its makes it easy to email the governor, your local legislators, and campbell (F&W comish). It only takes 2 minutes and a few sentences to make an impact.

Sunday bowhunting will only p [no swearing please] if we all let our reps know that it will be good for NJ.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pa is also trying to get sunday hunting for the upcoming season, i hope both states p [no swearing please] and then we will have more time in the field!!![up] I will also go and email them

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ive been hunting PA and NJ for about 15 years. PA on and off, because I couldnt always afford tags.

If you look at the broad spectrum, both states have their pros and cons, regulations wise.

PA does offer a much friendlier attitude towards hunters. You feel like your in the majority when you hunt there. When you hunt here, your made to feel like your one of the last 12 dinosaurs walking the earth.:(

Ive spoken with several PA hunters though, and they claim the same political non-sense corrupts their management too.

Claiming that the PGC is persuaded by timber companies, and crossbow manufacturers $$$$.

I think alts plan could have worked very well, and was working, however, it needs tweaking.

One thing PA needs desperately is a more accurate way of measuring harvest. Perhaps taking ideas from NJs wonderful check in system. Some hunters complain about NJs check in, and it could use some MINOR tweaks, but is one of the best in the country.

No management plan or regulations will ever please every hunter though. Because every hunter has different things that make them happy.

I enjoy going out and seeing a few healthy deer, and monster bucks. I wont shoot small ones...absolutely no way, no how!

But someone else may want to go out and see sheer numbers of deer, not caring much for size or antlers.

You CAN NOT manage for both. It just cant work, therefore one side is always going to be unhappy.

But to get back on topic. Im a happy hunter in NJ for the most part. Our division does a good job, and tries to please us. They dont get much help from the state, and are actually milked by the state govt. So I love the NJDFW....I want them to flourish for as long as I shall live and beyond.

But thats not to say I dont want some changes. I think you can never stop trying to improve, even with the deer management plan I had come up with. I fully expected it to need change within four years of inception. Why? Because with those changes, and with the everchanging environment, you have to stay flexible, and adapt.

PA is a great state to hunt too, but they also need some minor changes to make it better. Ive proposed changes to them as well.

And I hope you do hunt NJ, because it really is a great state to hunt. Once you get past the lunatics trying to shut us down, and the somewhat confusing rules that govern us...you can find your piece of mind and sanity out in the NJ woods. You just have to drown out the noise of construction equipment destroying more fields and forests.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts