New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has nothing to do with hunting but, how many people on here that went to college actually went into a field their degree is in? I went to NJIT for computer engineering and I am an estimator / project manager for a commercial construction company. Why I have no idea.

Dennis

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I did. But always remember, college is something you have to do to get the job. All I learned in college helped me in about 20% of my job. Just the basics. The rest was learned on the job. But, without the degree, you dont even get an interview. Its just paying your dues so to speak.

And expensive dues it its... [smirk]

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I am in my field (computer science)... college improved my reading, writing, and presentations skills...thats about it.

I learned more during my first year on the job than in college.

Somehow I managed to avoid the liberal brain washing too. [smirk]

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I am close, my degree is in Molecular Biology, and I work as a formulations chemist.

-dan

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I learned the proper procedure for keg tapping and then I got kicked out:p

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have a degree in Civil Engineering from NJIT, and I now work as a project manager / estimator for a construction management company. All I know is that college will never teach you what you learn and experience in the field, but it will help you land a better job in some cases.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
College just got me in the door. From there it was all on the job that got me where I am today. I have 12 years of IT exp and 2 years college. To be honest with you I love the money in IT but would much rather be doing Plumbing and Heating. [up][smirk]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Went to ASU long enougth to be able to buy a hat that said I went to school there..And then culinary school to learn how to butcher meat and fish did that for ten years and got burnt out..now I'm happy

·
Registered
545 Posts
WISH I NEVER WENT!! SHOULD OF TAKEN ON THE FAMILY BUSINESS OF MASONRY BUT INSTEAD I LISTENED TO MY DAD AND UNCLES WHO SAID "GO TO COLLEGE DONT BREAK YOUR BACK LIKE WE DO" BUT THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LIVE DEBT FREE LIVE IN AWESOME HOMES AND I LIVE PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK AND HAVE TO STRESS PROVIDING FOR MY FAMILY !! BUT IT IS OK! I STILL LOVED THE COLLEGE DAYS AND MADE FRIENDS THAT WILL LAST FOREVER!

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I graduated from here (out near Hershey, PA) undergraduate.

I then graduated from here (out in Denver, CO) graduate school.

I worked my butt off to pay off my student loans. Also, I was fortunate enough to have graduate school 100% paid for by my employer.

You would be surprised how many guys do not take advantage of 100% employer tuition reimbursement. I mean... at least take one cl [no swearing please] every once in a while in a subject that interests you... just as long as its not during hunting season. Night classes and waking up early for deer do not mix well.

Now my wife's student loans are a different story. [smirk]

·
Registered
545 Posts
my father and uncle are bianco brothers in union cty - my unlces in white house station were carmine antonuccio and mike verta - they did alot of work for mike readington, mike parisi and now mark harmon- foundations, concrete work brickwork on alot of developments - my dad and unlce (2 70 yr old italians) do all small jobs steps/sidewalks/curbing/patios - quick jobs but make a goob buck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts