New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A few years back I started using thin liner gloves with some hand warmers in my chest pocket. I use a berber fleece windshear glove for the walk to my stand. Those Outdoor research mitts look toasty warm.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Get mittens not gloves and your hand will stay much warmer.
I agree with this. I find 5-fingered gloves less warm than mittens (I use glomits, and you'd think the cold air would get in them, but I find you keep them on and your hands do actually stay warm. Weird). I still haven't figured out the science why fingered gloves aren't as warm - I guess the heat coming off your fingers warm up inside the mitten, but when each finger is covered, the heat transfers out ??? I dunno, but its weird that mittens/glomits work better.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with deermaster. I haven't found a glove that doesn't suck. I have a $140 pair of Under Armour gloves that aren't worth a damn. My hands are actually colder when I wear them. Terribly overrated product/brand. Gloves that might be warm during skiing may not be warm when you're just sitting in a tree . I picked up a Textpac from Dicks. It is too cool. I'm staying with the muff (lol) from now on.
http://www.textpac.com

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Ah, but there is such a thing as warm gloves. But, they aint cheap. I got a pair of Cabelas electric gloves. On the coldest days I cant stand them on high...just too hot. I was lucky enough to get them when they were on sale for half price. That made them $100.00 instead of $200.00. They are rechargeable, have four heat settings and worth every penny at full price. When its not real cold, the gloves can be used without the batterys and are still warm!

Reactions: JLG165

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Ah, but there is such a thing as warm gloves. But, they aint cheap. I got a pair of Cabelas electric gloves. On the coldest days I cant stand them on high...just too hot. I was lucky enough to get them when they were on sale for half price. That made them $100.00 instead of $200.00. They are rechargeable, have four heat settings and worth every penny at full price. When its not real cold, the gloves can be used without the batterys and are still warm!
Hmm.. you mean these? (mitts and gloves):

Cabela's Heated Performance Hunter II Mitts : Cabela's

Cabela's Heated Performance Hunter II Gloves : Cabela's

They are on sale now - still pricing at 175. But interesting - they actually have lifetime warranty on the electrical! You mean those rechargeable batteries don't go bad after a while??

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yeah, Thats the ones. They have refined them somewhat from what I have. But, mine are 2 years old. Thats why they are more expensive. I use them all of the time...not just for hunting. I go to a lot of early Feb. college lacrosse games and use them for that too. I had an elbow replacement a couple of years ago and the doc hit my ulner nerve(funny bone) which caused the pinky and ring finger on that hand to, among other things, be cold in August. These gloves are what make it possible to stand it in the winter. Well worth the money, IMO.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
My problem I have with any winter gloves is the trigger finger.

Obviously, full mittens are out (I don't want to have to take the glove off to take a shot - seems to me that would involve too much extra movement plus your hand gets cold!).

I've found glomits nice because you can slip just your index finger out of the mitten when ready to take the shot. But the glomits have the chance of cold air getting in underneath the opening (though I must admit that isn't as big a concern as I thought it would be). Also, I did a quick search and didn't see a heated version of glomits.

Those heated 5-fingered gloves look nice, I'd be worried though I wouldn't be able to have a good feel in the trigger finger. I have a pair of cold-weather non-heated 5-fingered gloves and I don't use them with bow because I don't think I have a good feel with it in the trigger finger, and my release has a very sensitive trigger. Can use them with shotgun though.

This is the kind of thing I hestitate to order over the internet - I'd like to try them on and see how they feel and how thick the trigger finger is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I take back anything good I said about the Textpac. First off, the strap broke before I even got into my stand. Once I got my hands in it, the window fogged up really badly. Also, my phone is an iPhone 6 (regular), didn't fit well in it. The pack is small. I took it back and I got some glove/mits and hand warmers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If u are looking for something less bulky.... Try buying a pair of polypropylene glove liners. You can find them on amazon. You can wear them alone or wear a lighter glove over them. They really do help ALOT. Also if you use a muff with a few hand Warmers you could probably get away with just wearing the glove liners.

I have corpse hand all the time (cold hands, warm heart).... And also have Raynauds Disease which causes very poor circulation in my hands and feet. I end up crying after every sit because of the amount of pain I'm in after a day of hunting. My husband has to undress me like a baby cause my hands hurt so much.

I bought a pair of polypropylene glove liners and wore them under a very light pair of gloves and used my muff and for the first time ever my hands did not go numb and I did not end up in tears after hunting.

I recommend you at least trying them out. Found them on amazon for cheap and amazon had a hunter safety muff for about $20.

Good luck.

~The A from A&N. (Alyssa)

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
Why on earth are people spending close to $200 on winter gloves? Holy hades. [eek]

I've skied my entire life, often at close to 4,000 foot elevation and with sub-zero wind chills. A $35 - $75 pair of solidly made ski gloves are all you need. Trust me on that one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.