New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the cold weather, what do you guys prefer full one piece coveralls or parka bib combos or just a pair of snow pants and a heavy jacket?

·
11,226 Posts
In the real cold I go with my good old Woolrich pants and Woolrich Jacket! Red and black checkered like the old timers!!! [cool][up] If it warms up some during the day or if I'm going to be doing some walking I can shed some layers from under the jacket or change to a lighter jacket![up]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I always liked the bib and parka combos. The bibs are nice since you can layer up top and avoid bulkiness. Also I usually carry my parka in with me to avoid getting sweaty and usually hang it in my tree and put it on once I get cold.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Bibs and some type of breathable quad parka w/ removeable liner.Go in light and put the parka on later.
Browning Hydro Fleece or Hydro Suede Gore Tex for me...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I use Cabelas Silent Suede parka and bibs, hunted alot late season last year, temps below 20 and stayed reasonably warm. I think the best bet for real cold conditons would be their MTO50 coveralls, I know a couple of guys that have them and they are supposed to be extremely warm.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
For me... one piece overalls with layers underneath. I've sat outside in -10°F weather and hunting wearing this combination.

David

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
First layer synthetic type thermal underwear. Second layer Gortex on the bottom and wool sweater or shirt on top. Third layer wool pants and parka which is a Browning 4 in 1 so depending on temps can either wear inner shell or both the inner and gortex lined outer shell. Wool hat and gortex mittens with the foldover for shooting fingers and face mask as needed. I'll only wear the first 2 layers walking in. Boots are either knee high rubber boots with thinsulate or Sorel Pacs depending on temps and ground cover. An extra wool sweater and gloves goes in the backpack as well. Spent to many years as a ski patroller and EMT here in NH seeing the effects of cold weather on folks.

Actually, in Yesterdays NH Union Leader ( State Paper) there was a story about a NH hunter who went out lightly dressed on Opening day ( Wed) got turned around and wandered over the ridge. The found him dead Friday. It rained Wed night and then temps dropped into the upper 20's by Thursday morning and Thursday saw winds of 20+ MPH. He had a self inflicted gunshot wound due to hypothermia. I thought that odd but in talking to a Fish And Game Officer today who I know, I was told he had hunted with a pistol and it probably discharged when he was violently shivering and he had it iin his hand. He was dressed in an insulated sweatshirt and jeans. We get numerous hiker and skier deaths each year because they go out in the morning and the temps require one type of gear. Then they get lost or injured and succomb to the elements because the weather turns on a dime up here.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Cold weather gear? It doesnt even get cold in NJ.

I wear a loin cloth right through until February, when it starts to get chilly, I break out the insulated loin cloth.

Bunch of sissies....:p:D:D

Seriously, when it gets CcCCccCCoooOOOooLLLllLDDddd.....I wear layers, lots of them. Polarfleece is my favorite material, wear it next to the skin. Its warm and wickable. The only bad thing is fleece is not windproof. Polypro (military long underwear) is another great material to wear. Its almost like a wearing a heater.

Some important things to remember about dressing for cold weather.

DONT wear all your clothes for the walk in. Pack them in, and add the layers as you cool down. Dont let yourself get too cold or too hot, but add each layer as you feel necessary.

DO make sure to keep your head, hands and feet warm. Your core gets cold trying to warm your extremeties.

Try to wear clothing that wicks moisture close to the skin.

WIND is a big factor in how fast you get cold. Wear a windbreaking material under your outer layer. (above our wicking layer)

Finally, stay hydrated, and eat on stand. Giving your body fuel keeps you warm. It also makes for a good incentive to stay on stand.

Some of the best deer action heats up, when the temps drop. Best of luck!!:)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Jim- Not sure if you were refering to the hunters story or Matty in an insulated loin cloth!!! Then I saw you were trying to go to bed not to the porcline god to puke after the thought of Matty running around the woods of Jersey in just a loin cloth.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sorry Jim.

Guess I shouldnt tell you that I do muscle man poses in my loin cloth infront of a mirror either huh?[confused]:p:D

Sweet dreams bud!:p:D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Text of story about the hunter in NH from the AP

The Associated Press

WARREN, N.H. — A hunter whose body was found in the White Mountain National Forest on Friday shot himself two days earlier, authorities said.

The medical examiner's office concluded that Michael J. Young died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Wednesday evening, "probably brought on by the effects of hypothermia," Fish and Game Lt. Todd Bogardus said.

Young, 41, of Boscawen, went to Warren to hunt deer earlier Wednesday and didn't return to his camping trailer, authorities said.

He was reported missing on Thursday morning.

Young was found several miles away from a trail on which he was last seen.

The search was focused on and near White Mountain National Forest land off Route 118 in Warren.

It was 34 degrees at dusk Thursday morning and dropping. Snow fell in higher elevations.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any of the ole timers on here, what did you guys wear back in the day? I know goretex was not around 20 years ago.

B

·
0 Posts
Last year on opening day of SHOTGUN (mysti won't like that, but I don't care :p) I was hunting with buckfever, brownstones, and our friend sean. It was cold, and snowing, and I can remember them saying that they are getting cold, and I said I was hot, I even had my zipper on the jacket open 1/4 way down to cool off. It was a jacket and bib, not once did I get cold, I was very impressed with this set up I had.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
wool is still the only fabric that retains body heat even when wet. Wool warms cotton kills as the saying goes.

B

·
0 Posts
Well with this topic up, and with warm temps. today, I just put my warm coveralls in the wash, then let them air dry outside. I do hope we have cold temps for both the opener of muzzleloader & shotgun (mysti won't like that, but I don't care :p)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Right now I have one piece coveralls, but I want to switch to bibs and jacket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts