New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for "tupical NJ winter" camo clothes.

You know - when the forecast calls for snow but we get falling slush and freezing rain.[smirk]

Looking at Berber, Wool (had an old set of Ducks Back woolies that were good) or gore tex.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did the cabelas routine - now I want to know what everyone else goes with.

·
11,226 Posts
I am a Woolrich guy myself...Red and black checker pattern![up] I have the pants and jacket and no matter what Mother Nature throws at me that combo stays warm and dry on the inside!!! I do alot of January hunting!!! It gets cold out there!!![up] As far as camo goes I've had deer look right at me and then look away without ever seeing me!!!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JerseyJim, I used to go with the traditional elmer fudd stuff too!:p

I tried the berber stuf and it is toasty but questionable on how it would hold up on a soggy NJ winter day.

Sleeping Indian looks good but $$$!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I should probably look for other stuff as well. I have a pair of $50 coveralls from Kmart I use.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I started out with Woolrich like Jersey Jim hunting PA, they do keep you warm and the checker pattern breaks you up. I wasn't in the market for Camo clothing but I was in Harry's Army navy and they hade a GameHide 4-1 coat and bibs for sale. Could not p [no swearing please] up the deal. However, this outfit is so warm you just need Long underware and a light flannel shirt. I wanted an in between set of Camo and bought Silent hide from B [no swearing please] pro. Here is the link, its on sale now and you can wear a number of layers underneath. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=18249&hvarDept=400&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=15&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

B

·
0 Posts
Last year I brought a jacket and bib "10X" brand. On opening day of shogun deer it was cold and snowed up in SUSSEX COUNTY. I was so warm, I had to unzip the zipper alittle to let some heat out, I never got cold once, my 3 other friends got cold. The jacket and bib is also waterproof and really quiet. I got it at MELTZERS in GARFIELD

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The Browning Hydro Fleece is hard to beat, expensive but well worth the money and totally waterproof.
It's also extremely quiet which works well for bowhunting..
Browning is revamping the line and some of the older models can be had for very reasonable prices...

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Chemical handwarmers in a muff and in my boots. My hands and feet are the only parts of my body that really seem to get cold. other than that I have a 4-1 parka and a pair of. the parka is made by browning and the bibs are from cabelas. As long as you head, hands and feet are warm you should have no problem with anythjing else.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hunted last January during winter bow. On this particualr day it drizzled all morning, even though there was snow and ice on the ground. It was a miserable day. All I had was my fall suit with long-johns - two hours into it I wanted to hang it up.

Soggy and cold.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Here's what I use:

Under Armour - Cold Gear top and bottom
Polypropylene long johns
Wool pants
Light Jacket
Wool Jacket
All of the above cover up with coveralls (like Walls)
For boots I wear a set of these black Lacrosse pac type boots.
I always carry an umbrella blind for those days when it's raining.

David

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I carried all that gear and put on all those layers my stand would collapse!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
It's really not alot of layers. Like 3 for top and 3 for bottom. Plus one overall layer.

David

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just joking.:D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Trust me, before I got the Under Armour and the wool jacket, I used to have like 7 layers on top. I've cut it back alot due to them. Talk about carrying a lot of chit in.

David

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gloves?

I use my pass-thu gloves till it gets bitter. I'll even use my Bob Allen's.

But for cold winter bow I used wool gloves.

Any experience with products described in cabelas, basspro etc...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts