New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What set up do you use? I'm hunting County park land (deer,bow). I usually use a climbing tree stand that is left there all season. I've never used a hanging stand. I like the mobility of the hanging ones, but the security of the climbing stand. Do you use screw in steps or climbing sticks. how long do you leave your stand in the tree? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Welcome to the site and dont leave stand out if you are not in it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Climber here also ,very stealth ,easy to change locations . Wont get stolen. Most of the new stands ,comfortable ,easy to use. somewhat light weight. When you say hang on I assume you mean leave out there. I have used hang ons through the years they work well too. You get in and out easy ,quiet. If you leave them you can chain and lock.If you put up and take down after every use it is a work out. I have watched you tube and see guys putting them up in 5 minutes or less. They must be great athletes or something ,because i cant even get close to that. I am usually sweating like a hog even if it is 30 degrees or below. Ok i am a little heavy but back in the day i wasn't. Still sweat. Ladder stand is not bad leave it out there though ,forever if you can. They way about 100 pounds ,need two men and a small boy to put up. But they work lock em ,like anything you leave in woods.One thing i notice deer will look up and see if you are in stand after a while especially if you are harvesting a few. This is another reason i use climber ,you can move around ,don't over hunt an area. Since i bought this summit viper climber ,really no need for anything else. Very comfortable and safe. Always use safety harness.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would use a cable instead of chain to lock anything you're gonna leave out. Not impossible to cut a cable, but harder than cutting a chain.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have a few ladders and a few climbers. I dont really use a hang on anymore. I did years ago, But any Ive tried are usually small and uncomfortable. Ive found comfort is key for prolonged motionless sits. If your not comfortable, youll fidget and move about a LOT more. One thing Ive learned now is pretty much all my stands have a sling style hammock seat. For me they are just WAY more comfortable than anything solid. some metal bars, or a little round slab, even when covered by the thickest of pads cannot hold a candle to a mesh or strap style sling seat, even with a thin cushion.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I use two hang ons in the Hunterdon County Parks you can sneak into them silently and you don't have to have a stand on your back on the way in. I use a cable lock to secure them and also remove the first four or five steps this does not guarantee that it won't get stolen but it helps. If hunting WMAs I would stick to climbers as it seems a lot more stuff gets legs on these properties. Of course the farther in you go the less people will find your stuff. Setting up climbers in the dark can be a PIA and you make noise setting them up and then more noise climbing.

·
Registered
15,843 Posts
With ladders and hang ons you can hunt good SPOTS that don't have good trees to use a climber.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Hunterdon Cty requires all stands plus ladders to be removed at the end of the season, thought that applied to all county parks.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
id love to see someone try to steal my lock on hahaha bring BIG bolt cutters!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I use everything. I prefer hang on's for most areas because you can pick any tree. I love how comfortable climbers are but I hate having to find a good tree and the weight gets old after a few 1/2 mile hikes.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Climbers are ok. It you need to be in good clean timber. But you can toss a lock on in any tree that's climbable.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
That is true lock on will go on most trees ,climber you need limbless and pretty straight tree. You can tuck that hang on in above the limbs or in a pine tree. The climber are more comfortable though.Love that sling type seat . Can sit for 3 hours without standing. Unless I got to pee.(getting old)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts