1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearing the way for birds
Sunday, November 13, 2005
BY FRED J. AUN
For the Star-Ledger
Conservatives take note: The federal government is doing something about uninvited aliens. It's mowing them down, grinding them up and hoping their progeny get the message.

Calm down, liberals. We're talking plants here, not human immigrants. The procedure, taking place right now in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, won't make it to the radio talk-show airwaves, but it's likely to bring happy chatter to New Jersey's birds.

The National Park Service chose 27 acres in the remote Walpack Valley of Sussex County to be a demonstration site for an intensive removal of what it calls "invasive, exotic shrubs." With the help of a contractor's brush-cutter, the park service's Northeast Exotic Plant Management Team (EPMT) and recreation area staffers are almost finished clearing the former farm fields of autumn olive, multi-flora rose and exotic honeysuckle.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1131864085176940.xml&coll=1

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
grouse or no grouse..Fred Aun is a do**** who wouldn't know a turkey from a chicken unless he read the label in the supermarket. Why he writes the outdoors column for the "Red" Star Ledger is beyond me. Maybe he has an office with a window, and that's outdoors enough for them.

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jersey Bob, I want you to breath in deeply and count to ten! lol! Your an angry man today!! lol!!

From what I have heard his hands are tied when it comes to writing his column. The sports editor makes him write those bird watching, mountain biking, jogging pieces... When he writes about hunting and fishing his articals seem pretty good to me!
He's no Howard Brant but then again, nobody is!!!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
He's no Howard Brant but then again, nobody is!!!
I miss that guy. He was good.

Jim it may be good for grouse in a couple years. Needs to get big enough to hold them, like the place I took you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts