New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i usually just breast the pheasant....does anyone clean out the legs...someone i was talking to says he does that...when i tried doin it, it was just so annoying[mad]...is there any special way to do this...

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I just freeze the legs and thighs in a sep bag. When I get enough I cut the meat off while still partialy frozen. I then grind it up for tacos. Mmmm. Delicious.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i just pull the skin with feathers off the chest and breast them. the whole body is still intact. i just throw out the rest.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I skin the whole bird. Then I cut off the legs and thighs and keep them seperate. Then I cut out the breast meat. I do occasionally cook the whole pheasant like an over roaster chicken. However, the leg get dry. If you keep the legs seperate you can cook them seperate. I usually cut off the meat from the legs ans use them in stir fry.
Someday I am going to fry a couple birds like a turkey.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i grew up on a farm, we plucked everything, so i still do, but the legs and back make an awsome soup, just like chicken !!!!!!!!! matter fact my dad liked pheasant soup better than chicken, and the legs get tender

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I have been wanting to try to make a pheasant soup also. This may be the year.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I usually shoot 40 to 60 pheasants a year so skinning them out and breasting them is easiest for me. In addition i cut the filet in half horizontally to make even sized slices, put them in a large heavy duty zip lock and them pound them with a flat pan. This makes for thin cutlets that can be cooked many ways. Legs and thighs are best for soup.

·
11,226 Posts
The legs are good with a ton of BBQ sauce or honey glaze on the grill!!!! Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy
I like to take the breast meat off the bone but if pressed for time I will keep it all whole and cut it off after thawing....[up]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts