New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on another site and I thought this could help me out. I will be getting a Vizsla pup on October 20 and will begin training her shortly after. What I am going to do is post on her training progress; both good and bad. I believe this will force me to keep up with the training. It will also provide me with some extra help from others on this site that have dogs.
First I will give you a little background. My wife and I both wanted a dog. She wanted a family dog and I wanted a hunting dog. We did a lot of research before deciding on a Vizsla. The Vizsla is a versatile hunting dog with a great nose. They are also very family oriented and love to please their owners. We had picked a breeder after doing more research and when the pups were to be born they were all still born. We were then fortunate enough to find another breeder with a great bloodline. 27 titles going back 4 generations.
Here is a picture of the pups. 1 will be mine.

I will using the North American Versatile Hunting Association training methods as my primary method. I will also being using a Vizsla Training book I also have. Now since this is my first time training a hunting dog I will probably be asking questions as problems arise. Hopefully there won't be any. Hope this will be enjoyable to all.
I should be getting pictures of the pups individually today so I can start the selection process. I can't wait.
Sean and Jim I will me asking you 2 a lot of questions over the next few months, being that you 2 are currently training new pups.
Mike

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guys, I just received updated pictures on the 4 female pups.

I am looking at #1 and #4.
Sorry for the size, I didn't realize the pictures were that big. If anyone knows how to shrink them could you please do it. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
those are some good looking dogs. weimaraners have the same characteristics as a visla. except weimaraners are more hyper. good luck on the dog training! i too am training my dog (the weimaraner).

·
11,226 Posts
BAD POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess what the wife wants now!??? OH LETS GET A PUPPY!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!
Great looking pups!!![up] My wife likes #2...I like #4....They all look great I don't think you can go wrong!!! Congrats!!![up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, Jim. You have to have the baby first.
It is a tough decision. Now I see #3 and she peeked my interest too.
Jim, by the way, did you get my message.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
mpemt24, those are some damn fine looking pups! Although my opinion may be a bit biased. 2 pieces of advice to start with, and believe me, I am speaking from experience. As cute as it may seem... strongly discourage your new pup to teethe on your hands and fingers. What seems cute and painless at 8 weeks quickly evolves into some serious skin breaking chomping!!! Vizsla are notoriously mouthy!! Another thing get the pup use to having their nails trimmed, but be very careful one cut too deep and you will have a tough time getting your dog to sit still for more of it. Again I'm speaking from experience.
My pup and I took a Prize III in the NAVHDA Natural Ability test last weekend with a score of 93. I'm pretty happy with that for only being 9 mo. old. I'm really looking forward to shooting some birds over him real soon.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim, aren't they all going to teeth. You just have to break them of it. I read up on how to do that. Hopefully it will work. I know I have to keep the nails trimmed. I tried once on my old dog. Notice I said once. Icut too deep...blood everywhere. I guess I will have to invest in a clipped with a stop at the end. Jim, I will have many question for you, being a Vizsla owner. I can't wait. I'm hoping she will be a quick learner and hopefully I can get out once with her before the commercial preserve season ends in April. She will be 8 months old then.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think the NAVHDA clinics start up again in April, you just want to make sure the pup is having fun when you take her out... And yes they are all going to teethe and we thought it was cute how our little guy chewed on our fingers... trust me, it ain't so cute anymore [down] It's going to happen regardless but I recommended that you "strongly discourage" it from the very beginning. Have plenty of chew toys pig ears, rawhide bones, hog snouts, etc.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
but be very careful one cut too deep and you will have a tough time getting your dog to sit still for more of it.
tell me about it. i cut my GSP nail to short one day and that was it. it was a fight to cut them the rest of her life. i miss her.[sad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got more pictures today. Take a look.

I like the one in the second picture. Again sorry for the size.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I have a question . what is the disposition of these dogs? Are they real nutsy like a Soringer or are the calmer? See I'm looking to get back into bird hunting in the next few years and I'm looking for a nice calm versitile dog.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scrubby, they are great family dogs. Good with kids. That is why I chose the breed. Their goal in life is to please their owner. The only downside I keep hearing is they want to be by people. Their owners call them velcro dogs. With all my research I felt I couldn't find a better breed for me and my wife. They are a medium sized dog and short haired.
Venisoneater also has one.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Al pups are hyper, but the calm down. They will hunt all day and come back home and lay at your feet. Atleast that is what I have been told.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts