New Jersey Hunters banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

Registered
If you looking for a new bolt gun I would go with a savage they light years ahead of remingtion and Winchester. Pumps or levers you will want older models cause Marlin and remingtion making trash right now.

Its all personal taste you hunting a thick swamp no need for a 300 mag. Use a pump gun in 308 or a lever in 45-70. Just as if you was sitting over a cut corn field I would not want my lever in my hands.

Long stiry you want one rifle buy a older model remingtion 7600 in 3006. You can kill every thing

ps my savage 220 twenty gauge kicks harder then my savage bear hunter in 338 magnum with a muzzy break as long as the mags have a break they ok
I have a Savage 220 and it has extremely light recoil. It's also a tac driver. As far as a recommendation for a rifle I love my Sako 308 20" barrel. Easy on the recoil, very light and very accurate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Registered
This thread is a bit dated but I will chime in anyway. A bolt action rifle chambered in 308 Win is ideal for the thick woods hunting of the Northeast forests. All the magnum calibers as well as the 270 Win is probably not ideal because the extreme muzzle velocity of these calibers would cause lightly constructed soft point bullets to explode in impact and ruin a lot of meat. Yes you can do things to mitigate that but why would you want to when the 308 win is already perfect for the task of hunting at ranges less than 300 yards. The 308 win is not overly destructive, the recoil is manageable and the ammo is very cheap. The same goes for the offshoots of the 308 win cartridge like the 7mm-08 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. They kick even less and are adequate for any game in the northeast. As I write this comment near the tail end of the covid-19 pandemic I have found that ammo scalpers have targeted the 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition inventories and driven up the cost exponentially. The 308 Win and 7mm-08 ammo is still available and while more expensive than it used to be is about half the price of a box of 6.5 Creedmoor. Bottom line I have put my 6.5 CR rifles in the gun cabinet and gone back to shooting my 308 Win rifles instead. I refuse to allow these ammo scalpers to take of advantage of me and my family

81 - 87 of 87 Posts