New Jersey Hunters banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
That slight rattle is because foreend must be loose to pump & that definitely results in a less accurate gun. Fine for close shots but why i'd never buy one. I'd go lever if quick follow up shots a concern but bolt action best imo
How can a loose forearm cause a gun to be inaccurate? Pump guns are way more accurate then the uneducated believe they are. They have a free floating barrel which is highly desirable in the rifle world. Shooter error because of a loose forearm maybe but not a lack of accuracy at the rifles expense. If a loose forearm is costing you deer then you have bigger issues with how you are moving in the woods and in the presence of deer. I like my new to me older 760 more then my newer 7600. Forearm may be a little loose but the action is like butter. Nice and broke in and slick. I could prob get 3 shots off to a guys 1 shot with a bolt. And yes, my pump with fast follow ups has made the difference between venison in my freezer or going home empty handed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The 760 was accurate enough, just couldn't tolerate the rattle. I put up with it for years and finally traded it after I watched a trophy buck spook from it when I slightly shifted my grip on it in a tree stand. Who knows how many others heard it over the years that I never saw? So a nice, sturdy, silent bolt action seems the way to go. The single shot rifles are even lighter and silent, good choice for stand hunters that typically only need one shot.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
def not accurate enough to deer hunt with right ??

Old 760's shot 1" groups at 100 yards which is pretty much the distance that 95% of all the whitetails around here are shot.
and most guys couldnt shoot a second shot with their bolt guns in time make a good second shot.
Those old pump guns are a PERFECT match for most of the North woods hunting .

There is not one perfect caliber for deer hunting.
There are 25.
Pick the gun and round you like, and feel comfortable with. Practice with it. and they ALL work the same.
Gun goes bang, and you get ready to gut.

The Benoits used pumps. That says something.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
What power is that scope? I have a long eye relief scope(2x) on my Rem. 1100 with a Hastings barrel.
It's a leupold 2.5 fixed power scout scope. It has like an 11 inch eye relief or something like that. Designed to be mounted forward of the receiver for a scout setup. I was a little Leary at first with how the sight picture was going to be with such a forward mount but it's pretty awesome. Very fast and handy. Gets on target very fast. That gun with irons shot the hornady leverevolution ammo very well so ok anxious what it will do with the scout scope setup. My pumps will always be my favorites but it's just nice to take a walk with a nice rifle in hand. That's all part of it to me. I don't have many safe queens. They all get there share and rotation into the woods from year to year.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
This is my grand fathers old savage 99. Sat in his closet for God know how many years. Cracked stocked that I repaired through a classic redfield on it and a nice leather rifle stock shell holder. He bought it in a PX in Germany in the 40s or 50s. Still shooting like a dream. Ready for the woods next year. image.jpg

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is my grand fathers old savage 99. Sat in his closet for God know how many years. Cracked stocked that I repaired through a classic redfield on it and a nice leather rifle stock shell holder. He bought it in a PX in Germany in the 40s or 50s. Still shooting like a dream. Ready for the woods next year. View attachment 48929
Finally, a beautiful woods classic!

The Benoits used pumps. That says something.
That's because nobody handed them a Blaser K95 Stutzen in 8x57 Mauser. Pretty sure you would've never seen those Rem's again.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
It's a leupold 2.5 fixed power scout scope. It has like an 11 inch eye relief or something like that. Designed to be mounted forward of the receiver for a scout setup. I was a little Leary at first with how the sight picture was going to be with such a forward mount but it's pretty awesome. Very fast and handy. Gets on target very fast. That gun with irons shot the hornady leverevolution ammo very well so ok anxious what it will do with the scout scope setup. My pumps will always be my favorites but it's just nice to take a walk with a nice rifle in hand. That's all part of it to me. I don't have many safe queens. They all get there share and rotation into the woods from year to year.
This is the 2x Leupold on my 1100. It is really small compared to yours, that is why I was wondering what power it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
This is my grand fathers old savage 99. Sat in his closet for God know how many years. Cracked stocked that I repaired through a classic redfield on it and a nice leather rifle stock shell holder. He bought it in a PX in Germany in the 40s or 50s. Still shooting like a dream. Ready for the woods next year. View attachment 48929
Nice Savage. I have two also.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
I have a "few" deer rifles and agonize each year on which I will use! lol Open sights, peep, lever, pump, I like them all. I have come to the conclusion ,however, that my first rifle a 1903 sporterized US Springfield, would have been more than adequate for all the hunting I have done over the years. There was no need to ever buy another rifle! Lol but it is fun collecting them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Use the Leverolution ammo in my Marlin 30/30 and I'm very happy with the results, unbelievable accuracy change with this ammo

·
Registered
295 Posts
Remington model 760 or 7600 in 30.06. If looking for less recoil, same model only in .270. Look for an older lightly used model, the new Remington's do not compare to the DuPont days. My rationale...Pumps seldom jam and the NE has nasty weather. Legal in all states. Semis are legal in NY, but not PA., also jam more when the oil gums up on those cold days. Pumps allow for very quick follow up shots, and deer are often on the run during the gun seasons in NY and PA. My ideal rifle would have a Leupold VX 3 in 2.5 to 8 power. Carbines are nice also, but my 760s and 7600s have the 22 inch barrels. Recoil pad to ease the kick, more importantly to protect the gun and reduce noise when leaning against a tree. Leather sling, swivel mounts. Leupold metal scope covers to keep the snow, ice, and rain out. Vast majority of shots are under 150 yards (more like 75) and this gun will get it done time and time again. Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used a 7mag in upstate NY which was over kill. Shot two bucks @ about 30 yards but my brother in law used the same gun for mule deer in Montana at 300yds. If I where gonna purchase one I would go with it or a 300 weatherby or something similar. Could use it for just about any big game.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've hunted Tioga/Potter county Pa for over 30 years and have seen deer taken with all calibers so there is no one answer. The last 15 years ive been using my Savage 7mmMag but just in case I'll be hunting some heavier cover I always take my 35 marlin. Love both guns and have taken deer with both of them. My dad uses my 300 savage model 99 and has taken several deer with that gun. I think you should buy one of each.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a long list of deer rifles. It gets tough during deer season to pick which one to take. Winchester 94 in 3030 is a classic, then there's the blr in 308, or my a bolt in 300 Mag, or the marlin in 45-70. I just bought an old 760 in 35 rem off someone from this site recently. And I can't wait to get that one out next year. It shoots really good, especially for a 60 year old gun! My advice is get whatever you want and are comfortable with. They Will all drop deer. I even know a guy that uses a 223. A bit small in my opinion but with the right shot placement it will drop them every time

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a "few" deer rifles and agonize each year on which I will use! lol Open sights, peep, lever, pump, I like them all. I have come to the conclusion ,however, that my first rifle a 1903 sporterized US Springfield, would have been more than adequate for all the hunting I have done over the years. There was no need to ever buy another rifle! Lol but it is fun collecting them.
Whew you had me worried there for a min though I was gonna have to dial 911.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
depends on the property and how you're gonna hunt it.... if you are driving or thick woods hunting you'd do well with an AR in 300BLK or 30-30 lever gun. If you are hunting large fields you'll want something with more balls, flatter, to get 200-300yrd with good terminal ballistics... .30-06, .308, etc. Sure you can deer drive with a .30-06 but its not as easy to shoot accurately... and you can easily get followup shots with an AR shooting 300BLK

61 - 80 of 87 Posts