New Jersey Hunters banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Stay away from 30-06 and Remington 760 or 7600 Gamemaster pumps. You need a bolt action in 270 Win. Preferably a Winchester New Haven Model 70.
[wallmad][drinking] To funny

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I had used a 270 7600 pump in PA for a dozen years or so. Great gun !
I agree with others .270, .308 and 30-06 all in same league deer killers

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ive' dropped more deer in their tracks with the .243 cartridge than any of the bigger ones. Can also predator hunt NJ with the rifle too!
For more all around go bigger but just for whitetail go with the .243 in bolt action. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
440 Posts
And I agree with staying away from the 760 or 7600. I used a 760 in PA for many years. But the fore end on these pumps has a slight rattle. That rattle cost me a chance at a trophy buck a few years ago. Switched to a Rem 700 bolt, 30:06, very happy with it.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Some good advice and some strong personal opinions, but think about cost and availability of the cartridge. Say you run out or somehow forget to pack ammo. Can you go to a local sporting goods shop wherever you are and find that round? As for action types, they all have their place. Since it is your first rifle, I would go with a bolt action myself, but that certainly doesn't mean it would be "best" for you or others. A variable scope you can use close in which is where most northeast deer hunting will take place and which can then be turned up to stretch out to a few hundred yards for the rare long shot like a 2.5 - 7X is a good bet. Buy the best you can afford. Most of the cartridges mentioned are great deer rounds, easy to find, and are reasonable in cost. Everything from the .243 to .270 to .308 to 30-06 are great deer rounds you can buy most anywhere without breaking the bank. And none are mules when it comes to recoil.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bolt action .270, .308, 3006, all ammo of these calibers can purchased in any sporting goods store or Walmart.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
I like that law....there is no right or wrong as far as caliber. 270, 308,30-06,7mm,280 all good choices. Bolt action by any big name manufacturer is way to go. My preference is 270.
Why can't I use a semi auto if I only load one bullet in it?:D

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
And I agree with staying away from the 760 or 7600. I used a 760 in PA for many years. But the fore end on these pumps has a slight rattle. That rattle cost me a chance at a trophy buck a few years ago. Switched to a Rem 700 bolt, 30:06, very happy with it.
That slight rattle is because foreend must be loose to pump & that definitely results in a less accurate gun. Fine for close shots but why i'd never buy one. I'd go lever if quick follow up shots a concern but bolt action best imo

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Any caliber .243 to .30 cal will get the job done. A .308 or 30-06 are best for ammo availability.

Most of it depends on where you are hunting. Open areas with long shots stay with the above. In brushy areas a 30-30 or .35 rem is a good idea.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If you looking for a new bolt gun I would go with a savage they light years ahead of remingtion and Winchester. Pumps or levers you will want older models cause Marlin and remingtion making trash right now.

Its all personal taste you hunting a thick swamp no need for a 300 mag. Use a pump gun in 308 or a lever in 45-70. Just as if you was sitting over a cut corn field I would not want my lever in my hands.

Long stiry you want one rifle buy a older model remingtion 7600 in 3006. You can kill every thing

ps my savage 220 twenty gauge kicks harder then my savage bear hunter in 338 magnum with a muzzy break as long as the mags have a break they ok
Drop down to 2 3/4 rounds...no need for the 3" . The advantage is minimal& not worth the hassle finding them & the expense...

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
For the States you described a pump rifle in .270, 7mm08, .308, and 30.06 will fill the need. A bolt action is good too but cannot get a follow up round out as fast as a pump. A semi is good but not allowed in PA. Forget about magnums. With today's bullets, they are unnecessary.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Local ammo availability and cost should be the least important factors in caliber choice. The chances of forgetting your ammo at home, stopping in at the local bait store and finding the exact ammo that your gun shoots best is slim to none. In 42 years of rifle hunting, it has never happened to me, or anyone that I have hunted with. You are just as apt to forget your rifle/boots/cell phone at home, but you don't base your requirements of purchasing those things on easy availability.
Cost? In today's world, what's really the cost difference between a premium loading in a high-end caliber and one that is very cheap in a hunting scenario? My 7mm STW ammo costs $60 a box, I shoot 5 shots a year, which means that 1 box will last me 4 years and cost $15 a year! Similar .308 ammo costs $40 a box, so you'd be saving $4 a year. Practice is done with a .22, that's where cost savings makes sense.
When compared to the cost of tags, leases, gas, etc., its minimal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a question regarding bullet size; i had a Rem 700 30.06 and it would kick like a mule had to get rid of it. I dont remember off hand what size bullet i was using but what would be a good round for deer.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
That slight rattle is because foreend must be loose to pump & that definitely results in a less accurate gun. Fine for close shots but why i'd never buy one. I'd go lever if quick follow up shots a concern but bolt action best imo
def not accurate enough to deer hunt with right ??

Old 760's shot 1" groups at 100 yards which is pretty much the distance that 95% of all the whitetails around here are shot.
and most guys couldnt shoot a second shot with their bolt guns in time make a good second shot.
Those old pump guns are a PERFECT match for most of the North woods hunting .

There is not one perfect caliber for deer hunting.
There are 25.
Pick the gun and round you like, and feel comfortable with. Practice with it. and they ALL work the same.
Gun goes bang, and you get ready to gut.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts