New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not currently own a rifle. My hope is to hunt out of state in the future, NY, ME, PA. I know it is personal preference, however, I have limited experience with rifles other than AR / M4 type rifles. Not sure if a lever action, bolt or pump is the way to go. Would like to hear some of your guys thoughts that hunt out of state.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i love to carry my .300wsm Savage stainless/synthetic.

didn't cost a lot. as a couple Savage lines are very reasonable.
very accurate.
versatile round. deer to moose.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
You are going to get an awful lot of opinions on this so I'll throw mine in too. Assuming cost is somewhat of a concern, a Tikka T3 Stainless in 30-06 would be high on my list for an all around rifle. Browning BLR in 358 Win would be really nice as well.

I

·
Registered
538 Posts
Stay away from 30-06 and Remington 760 or 7600 Gamemaster pumps. You need a bolt action in 270 Win. Preferably a Winchester New Haven Model 70.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Preferably a Winchester New Haven
Any reason you specifically like the New Haven models? I've read a lot of reviews and that said the ones made by FN in South Carolina were the best models. Many say they even compare favorably to the pre-64 models.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Unless your going to hunt fields 150 + yard shots, Why not use a Shot gun with rifled barrel and scope like you would do in NJ, most decent ones, offhand, will shoot just as good as a rifle out to that distance. That what I use in woods in NY and PA as I don't hunt fields in either state. If you MUST have a rifle, My recommendation would be the 7MM mag in Bolt action.
Remember, at least I think, a few states do not allow auto loaders for hunting.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Stay away from the magnums. Though they will get the job done they are so not necessary for Northeast hunting. If you have plans for the future to hunt out west in open country than you can consider one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am very fond of my bolt action 30-06. It puts down deer and ammo is readily available. I am pretty sure PA does not allow semi automatic rifles for hunting.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Stay away from the magnums. Though they will get the job done they are so not necessary for Northeast hunting. If you have plans for the future to hunt out west in open country than you can consider one.
It all depend on what the "Magnum" represents. The 7MM rem "Magnum" that I purchased 40 years ago is not a magnum cartridge by todays standards.
My .338 Winchester Mag. is a Magnum cartridge with the .338 Federal on one side and the .338 Lapua on the other( none of these I would recommend for a "First rifle,)

First, And that's the key, first of many or first and maybe more. with all the choices there are a lot to consider.

The Term Magnum is vague and ambiguous, depending on when it was placed, 50 years ago???

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Stay away from 30-06 and Remington 760 or 7600 Gamemaster pumps. You need a bolt action in 270 Win. Preferably a Winchester New Haven Model 70.
That is some of the worst advice that I've seen on this site, sorry, but it truly is.
Hunting the list of states you want to hunt, the Remington pumps are ideal.
I have a few in .30-06 but prefer my model six in .308 .
Bolt guns, pumps, lever guns, semi's, buy what you are comfortable hunting with but more importantly it is all about shot placement not how big a round you're shooting.
My last two bucks shot in Maine(2013, 2014) were taken with a .25-06, 100 grain core-loks.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts