New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I was just wondering I got bit by a good amount of chiggers on my feet...Well Its been almost two months now and the itch is still insane! How long does it take for chigger bites to go away? there going away but I mean its been almost two months now[wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]...Some sites I looked on says it should only take two weeks or so...Anybody know anything about this...Some help would be awsome!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
keep your feet lubed up with vasoline that will smoother them in a weeks time .. how could you stand them for so long ..oh go heavy with the lube[up]

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
You have a secondary infection, pore some peroxide on the bites, should do the trick, it's even worked on fresh bites for me.[up]

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well heres the thing...the socks go with the uniform...in the army lol...But I will try both of the above replies thanks guys[up][up][up]

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am a chigger expert since I have hunted the pines with my father all my life and at times have had hundreds of bites on me at once.

Your bites got a little infected because you scratched them so often and kept tearing the little scabs off. The normal healing time is about 7-10 days. The itching is the worst when you take your shoes off and late at night.

Whenever you take your shoes off and in the morning drench a wash rag with alcohol and wipe the areas down. Then apply an "Anti-Bacterial Anti-Itch Cream" like LANACANE MAXIMUM STRENGTH. Do it again at night and take it to work if you have to. As long as you itch it, they will linger...yes, months is possible.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You have a secondary infection, pore some peroxide on the bites, should do the trick
I've been bit up but never lasted more than 2 weeks
Me too, nomore then 2 weeks.

If the peroxide does not work, you might need antibiotics. 2 months is a long time.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Another old remedy that does work. Dab clear nail polish on each bite. It will harden alm ost right away and kills the chiggers as it smothers them!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chiggers get on your skin and stick their proboscis(SP??) down alongside a hair follicle. They suck out some juices and leave behind the stuff that casues all the problem. After they bite..you are screwed. That is a fact. After they feed they drop off.

The best thing you can do when in areas with chiggers is immediately remove your shoes and socks(assuming you have bloused yoru pants) and spray down with a diluted bleach sloution. Taht kills the chiggers, hopefully before they can start to feed. I would also spray down any clothingor footwear with the same bleach solution(and keep it separated from everything else, to kill any of the little buggers that might still be hanging around waiting for an opportunity to stick it to you.

Once they have fed, there WILL be an inflammation that will have to run its course. As mentioned, keeping it clean and reasonably sterile(peroxide or Bactine) is a good idea and anti itch creams do help. About two weeks or so, if you can bring yourself to leave the area alone. That last part IS hard, becasue the itch is insane.

RayG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts