New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here hunt in chester new jersey? I just got a piece of property and was told it is loaded with deer. I went one day last week and did a quick scout and hung 2 stands. Hunted this morning and didn't see anything. Put a bag of corn out at each stand maybe that will get them coming in. When scouting i did see 6 doe and 2 bucks. Piece looks good, we will see. Going to try again Tuesday if it cools down. Maybe it is an evening place also. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the chester area. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I HUNTED ON CHUBB ESTATES A WHILE BACK, IT BORDERED THE MORRIS COUNTY PARK COMM. OFF OF RT 206. A FRIEND OF MINE DENNIS BAILEY WAS THE CARETAKER THERE. SAW PLENTY OFF BUCKS BUT THERE WAS ALOT OF TICKS. LAND HAS BEEN SOLD SINCE AND IS NOW I BELIEVE CALLED HIDDEN FARMS, JUST SOUTH OF THE TURKEY FARM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hunt Chester. I have seen many big bucks and loads of deer. I just wish I could be as lucky as you and find a private piece to hunt.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
There is a ton of deer in Chester...it is just hard to find a place that isnt already being hunted or that will allow you to hunt. There has been a ton of development in the area so a lot of these bucks are getting to be large bakyard bucks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The property i am hunting is on Parker road off 206. On the property it is sub divided and the owner wants to build houses but is runing into trouble so i have permission to hunt until all is settled. There is a hill that has trees that are spread apart and is pretty open. On the bottom of the hill is a dirt road that the owner cleared and on the other side of the dirt road is thick woods and on the other side of the thick woods is a power line through tall grassy field like area. I seen the does and bucks on top of this small hill but set my stand in the thicker stuff across the dirt road on the bottom of the hill. Maybe i should stick with the hill area but it is just open and i usually like to hun the thick cover. There is a small fence that seperates the power line and the propert i hunt and on my side of the fence is a small rock wall. The fence is very old and is only about 2 to 3 feet high so the deer can step over it without a problem. Anyway do you think i should be up on the hill or stick it out in the thick stuff?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
stick it out and then move after watching them, the piece I hunt in Chester is loaded with deer, but I had to move my stand once before I was in the zone.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Tunatales01,

It's a small world. I hunted that exact property and hill you are talking about for about 18 years. The property on the other side of the powerline was part of that piece. One of the owners died and his kids and their Uncle split the property. I continued to hunt the pine tree side for about 4 years until that was sold.

The piece you are hunting was known by our group as Buck Hill. Take from that what you will. I've taken over 20 bucks off that hill along with numerous does. That goes all the way back to when only 1 buck was allowed in both the bow and shotgun seasaons.

I used to have a stand about 2/3's the way down towards the fence for the old landfill. About mid way up the hill. The deer used to come from the powerlines as well as the very thick stuff between the hill and the houses on Parker Rd. They move back and forth all day long. At least they used to. And that was before baiting was legal.

That hill has a bunch of oaks with a lot of acorns on it. Largest buck I took off of there was a 9 pt, 189 lbs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TunaTales,
My club, Cranford Rod and Gun, leases 200 acres off Flocktown Rd. and is bisected by powerlines also. We have patterned the deer off the powerlines pretty well and you will find out that there are some great bucks in this area, especially in November when they venture from behind the swimming pools, sheds and houses. Good Luck.
Ray

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TJC,
The first thing i noticed was all the acorns on the hill. Was thinking of putting a stand on the hill but like i said it is so open up there not sure if it would be a smart move. I have a good run coming in from the power lines so i think i am in a good spot. Haven't really had time to scout the area out too much yet. Was this property more of a morning or evening place when you hunted it? I only hunted one morning so far and will be back monday, tues. and wed. evenings this week. Can you shoot a buck after you shoot your doe or do you still have to waite until oct for buck season? Any other info on the place would be a great help thanks alot.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
tuna,
I used to hunt mostly shotgun back then but even when I did hunt bow there you could see deer morning, midday, and afternoon. It is a bit open for bow. I used to hunt down near the little rock wall during bow or all the way up on the top of the hill right where the thick stuff between the houses and the hill starts. If you start baiting them, you should be fine.
There used to be a path coming in from the powerlines all the way down to the right if you are looking at the hill from Parker Rd. There is a large thick area behind some houses at the bottom of the hill. Right behind Schoolhouse La. That was always a good morning spot for bow. They cross back and forth there.
You are good to shoot a buck if you've taken a doe. No need to wait until Oct. If you shoot a second doe, you then have your bank a doe and don't have to shoot another for the ext. season. BUT, both does have to be checked in at a Bank a Doe check station. They will give you a yellow card and record the tag numbers from each doe on there. When you get both, you are good to go.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I know you said the fence is only 3 feet tall. But if its knocked down anywhere that would be a good place to set up. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
It's down in areas as well as it had holes in it that the deer used to go through. They could also jump it with no problem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts