1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ark. hunter rescued from treestand
After eight hours, hunter prepared himself for death; requires surgeries
Associated Press — Dec. 14, 2005

MOUNT HOLLY, Ark. — A hunter suffered hypothermia and kidney damage after becoming entangled in his deer stand and dangling upside down 30 feet above the ground in sleet for 8{ hours.

Raybon E. Upton was hunting by himself when his ankle became caught on the deer stand and he slipped. He was trapped there until about midnight when rescuers called by his wife were finally able to free him.

"I had cooked a big supper and he wasn't home, then I just got this gut feeling that something wasn't right. And I went out there and found him," Tammy Upton said Friday.

Upton was conscious but trapped when his wife found him about 8:30 p.m. and call for help. A firefighter was able to secure him with a rope until a fire crew with a ladder could free him.

Upton underwent surgery and had another scheduled, his wife said.

"He thought he was going to die there," Tammy Upton said. "He had made his peace with God and everything."

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Scary stuff.

Be safe folks.

Always let someone know where you will be hunting and what time you should be expected out. This guy would be dead if he didn't.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I always let my wife or father know exactly where I'm hunting and which stand location. Can never be to safe. I also always keep a knife and cell phone or radio on my person when climbing a tree. If its in your pack and your dangling out of reach it does you no good.

·
Registered
949 Posts
When hunting with buddies we always carry radios and check in with each other after 10-15 minutes to make sure everyone got into there stands okay. One of the guys I hunted with was 70 years old and still going strong. If hunting by myself I carry a cell phone in the woods and always tell someone where I will be and that I will call them when I get out.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
This is the first year our oldest son hunted away from me. Meaning he was in a stand about 100yd stand away. We communicated about every 15 min. When he was younger, 11, he would fall asleep, like we all do. No problem as I was in the tree next to him. He has a Summit climber that we used then with a shooting bar around the front. So if he fell asleep and went forward the bar plus his harness would hold him in. Now that he's almost 14, I set him up first in a ladder stand with his harness then head to my stand. I'm still concerned with him falling asleep and falling off the stand, as this ladder stand has no shooting rail, so I call him every 15 minutes. We talk about seeing deer just so I know he's awake. An important note when setting up your harness around to the tree. Tighten your harness as close to the tree as you can so little rope is left between you and the tree. Keep your rope between your back and the tree and you won't fall far, if at all.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Right you are Stronski. Sounds like the guy in Ark. wasn't wearing a good harness.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Obviously no cell phone. I wonder how far he fell away from his platform that he couldn't grab a ladder or branch or anything. If he got his foot stuck in the stand, which it reads that way, why not cut the laces and pull your foot out. He might have been an older guy and physically couldn't pull himself back up. He must have been using a climber. The whole situation makes you think what you would have done in the same prediciment. I think I would first try and get myself upright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.