New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the chatham/madison area. After doing some research, I decided to try my luck at fishing the Passaic River County Park.

I parked in the parking lot off river road. I threw live bait in the morning, then switched to some lures and did not even get a bite.

I bought the live bait from Dicks Sporting goods on RT. 10, and the guy there told me he pulled a 16 pound pike (i think he said pike), from the same river.

My question is, where should I be concentrating my effort on in this river. And if anyone has ever fished there, where did you go and park, and what did you fish with that was successfull.

This is obviously a huge river, so maybe getting it at a different point may be more worth it. Any help would be apprecaited. I am also always looking for other places in the area to fish. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
dawgs47,Chatham is to far upstream for the pike.Most of the big pike are caught in the LittleFalls section and downstream from there.Guys I know that fish there also catch smallmouth,largemouth,crappy,catfish,eel,carp,and bluegills.I have friends who also shot shad in the river while bowfishing for carp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the quick and useful replies. I will try to get over to the little Falls area (its actually right near where I work). Does anyone have idea's for bait or lures?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
d47,my friends had good luck with shiners.Im sure you will get more responses to this during the week.Good luck and let us know how you did.[up]

·
Registered
612 Posts
I live in West Paterson and fish the Passaic River all the time with my 12 yr old son. We catch a lot of smallmouths using plastic. Have hooked a couple of pike but the large toothy critters have never been landed. The water from Beatty's falls to the Paterson falls is good fishing. You can find good water all along Riverview Drive in Totowa. There is a big pool behind the water treatment plant that holds big fish. My best was a 5# smallie on a black worm this weekend. What a sledge hammer! The pools under the second set of falls are good too. You can reach these pools by taking Morris canal rd in Little falls off Paterson Ave. We knock em dead with live bait too. We fish right before dark until dark. It's great living so close to this kind of fishing. When I was a kid I saw the river on fire in the 70's. It was horrible. Where I caught only carp as a kid I'm catching some nice fish. email me if you have any questions
[email protected]

·
Registered
231 Posts
You can fish Passaic River County Park in the sping for trout. This section of the Passaic was added to the stocking schedule a couple of years ago. It is generally good fishing the first couple months of the season but after that the water gets to warm. While I have never caught pike in this area I have been told that they are there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone.

Fletch, that is some great advice. I will be in little falls next tuesday for work, so I may have to give that a try. I will keep you all posted on what i cought and on what.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I tried bow fishing for carp in Westside Park once. It was pretty good until the cops came.

With a boat and a flyrod and some non existant fly that would look like a floating white rasberry you could catch carp on every cast. This by casting along the Paterson side bank just downstream from the bridge where Billy Who's used to be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been told by many fisherman that the fishing between Two Bridges (Wayne) and The Great Falls (Paterson)is great. Last week I was told the pike were hitting large white spinnerbaits and the smallies were hitting top water and live bait. Been trying to fish there myself (live close by), make sure you let us know how you made out. Good luck[up]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Try 4-6" curly tails. Either white or white /red tail have worked best for me. Don't use anything you don't want to lose. Lot's of snags.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I tried on Thursday, from a kayak fishing from under the rt. 80 bridge, almost to the falls in Paterson. Using white spinner baits, jointed rapalas, and a few other lures. Only about 2 hrs fishing, but no bites at all. I did see quite a few real big carp, but that was about it. I tried in Elmwood park just above the falls there about 4 weeks ago, and caught a couple of northern pike, 1 small muskie, and a couple of largemouth bass. Still looking for that great spot. I think I will do better when the cooler water is in. But then it is bow hunting season, and I won't care about the pike in the Passaic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went fishing near the Mill in little falls. Got a few bites, and my line caught about 10 times in 2 hours. Did not catch anything. I am going to try again wednesday

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Got this near the mill in little falls. it was about 18 inches, maybe a little bigger or smaller. Bit the hell out of my finger when i was trying to get the hook off.

caught it at 7:30 at night on a spinner bait with 6 pound test trilene line.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Dawgg,thanks for the pic.Was at Dantes taxidermy today and some guy brought him a 35 incher from the river a while back.Good luck[up]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts