Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

And what...

People round here been thinking state might scrap it, if the state does change the area, time and weapons it will be what a lot of people have been asking for.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Changes are coming. For the better.
You can count on an earlier stand alone firearm season. An expansion of the hunt area seems reasonable given the data collected in the last 5 years.
Archery season....great concept and much needed,but a very, very heavy lift.
The game plan should be revealed in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I am for the hunt. We need more hunters getting involved by showing up to meetings and sending e-mails to N.J Fish & Wildlife so any changes made are for the positive not the negative. Because to sit in silence is to accept defeat.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
Data collected should tell you bears are around during archery season. .but once again the bow guys are shafted

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changes are coming. For the better.
You can count on an earlier stand alone firearm season. An expansion of the hunt area seems reasonable given the data collected in the last 5 years.
Archery season....great concept and much needed,but a very, very heavy lift.
The game plan should be revealed in a few weeks.

Let's hope so...

Activists also weighed in on potential changes to the bear management plan. Angi Metler, executive director of the Animal Protection League of New Jersey, questioned the wisdom of an earlier hunt, saying the state timed it for early December in order to protect female bears. She also criticized the use of crossbows, which she said typically have a less than 50 percent accuracy rate, “so it’s inherently cruel.”

Next summer, when the plan comes under review, she said activists are going to come out in full force against the hunt.
“We’re going to fight it all,” she said. “We want no bear hunt. No expansion of the hunt, no additional weaponry. We hope rational minds prevail eventually.”

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
“Bear-smart communities work, we know that,” said Merrilee Cichy of Little Falls, who held a sign that read, “It’s the garbage, stupid!”

little falls? How many bears does she see in her town?!?!

She also criticized the use of crossbows, which she said typically have a less than 50 percent accuracy rate, “so it’s inherently cruel.”

where does she get her statistics from? What a joke these people are!!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Archery equipment has been proven to be effective. It should be allowed in the next 5 year plan. The issue is perception. The average non hunting NJ resident has realized a gun hunt must take place and needs to expand. Add archery equipment into the mix and the public starts squirming in their seats. This is nothing new.
While science will certainly trump emotion in the next 5 year plan, don't discount the public input on the final outcome of weaponry involved....it will surely factor in.
Im also surprised some cards were shown to the press before being presented officially to the policy makers...

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
An expansion of the hunt area seems reasonable given the data collected in the last 5 years.
I'd agree but this is the same data that says the bear population is down to about 2,400.[confusedagain]

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Very cool I would definitely take advantage of this. The time of year that the hunt occurs is one of the main reasons I did not even purchase a permit this year.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'd agree but this is the same data that says the bear population is down to about 2,400.[confusedagain]
If I'm not mistaken, these numbers are for the study area north of 78 and west of 287 in bear zones 1-4. Bears are now problematic outside of the study area...and I'm not so sure those numbers are factored into the 2,400. Complaints went up big outside the study area also...

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
She also criticized the use of crossbows, which she said typically have a less than 50 percent accuracy rate, “so it’s inherently cruel.”
if this was even remotely true, it is still a better accuracy rate than the Bear Group's "facts".

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Archery equipment has been proven to be effective. It should be allowed in the next 5 year plan. The issue is perception. The average non hunting NJ resident has realized a gun hunt must take place and needs to expand. Add archery equipment into the mix and the public starts squirming in their seats. This is nothing new.
While science will certainly trump emotion in the next 5 year plan, don't discount the public input on the final outcome of weaponry involved....it will surely factor in.
Im also surprised some cards were shown to the press before being presented officially to the policy makers...
As for archery, I agree. Many of the decision makers are squeamish in attempting to add an archery season still due to the false information bantered about by the antis. But there is a growing cry to open one here in NJ. However, the more I learn, the more I think the next real shot at it will be for the 2017/18 Game Code and not the '15/16 code. But I'm now hearing of an earlier gun season which will help tremendously.

As for "showing the cards before the policy makers can weigh in", they already have weighed in. It's just the general public that awaits the decisions reached by the Division biologists and the Game Committee this month to the full Council that we await. Whatever it is that they have decided has already been decided by the policy makers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts