New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a small landscaping business that occasionally reqires a chain saw. any suggestions of make and model?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
occasionally reqires a chain saw
In business you want things to work when you need them. Husqvarna or Stihl. You pay more initially, but when you need them they are there![up]

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
any of the 3 mentioned above.My uncle has an echo that belonged to my grandfather.I am guessing mid-late 70's modle. still running like a champ. I had a stihl I bought when I was in Highschool(17 yrs ago) to make extra money from firewood,dad has it now because I have no use for it.It stihl(sorry had to spell it like that [lol]) runs, and cuts like it was just off the shelf.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
how much are u looking to spend? will u be required to cut large diamater stuff? since ur a landscaper u should buy a pro saw, they are made better and last longer, but cost more money, i like stihls, the stihl ms 361 is a great light and powerful saw, thats what i would get if i was in ur shoes, and if u can aford a 600$ saw. the ms 290 is a decent saw for the money also that u may want to check out. stay away from the saws at stores like home depot, lowes, tsc etc. they are not that good. check out www.arboristsite.com u can learn a lot there, its just like njhunter except with loggers, chainsaw lovers, firewood guys, etc

·
Registered
512 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Stihl. I've got 2. One is an older Stihl Farm Boss model # I can't remember. It sat in my mothers garage for at least 20 years before I got it last summer. Gassed it up gave it some bar oil and it started on the first pull after 20 years sitting idle!!! Has been running strong ever since. I wouldn't get any other kind.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I owned a McColough (good saw, no longer made), and a Poulan (total POS), and I just bought a Stihl MS360 with a longer bar and slightly bigger motor. So far, the Stihl is an excellent performer. I would recommend the Stihl. I'm planning on cutting up trees to feed my wood stove for the coming winter, and I have no doubt at all that it's up to the task.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
My Stihl is still running strong after 18 years. and countless cords of firewood.

As with any chain saw...Be sure to keep the chain sharp, The saw won't have to work as hard !

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
If you decide to go with Husqvarna do some research on the model you plan to buy. I don't remember model numbers but last year I was lookinig for an inexpensive saw for some light stuff. I looked at the lower end husqvarnas, stihls, and echo's. While looking at the husky's I learned their bottom 3-4 models are actually Poulan saws.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I have a Stihl it always works every time I call upon it I have had lesser saws but never one as good and for sure not better. Sthil 025

·
Registered
176 Posts
have used a stihl for a few years now and it has worked flawlessly even though i use it for larger projects that i should. wainwrights in florence nj has a good selection

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
stihl no doubt...i have seen them fall from 30ft up in a tree and are still running and work fine after hitting hte ground...all around great saws, you cant go wrong...for small stuff i like the 260 and bigger stuff the 460 all the way!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts