New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mayor Lee hushes deer management foe

(by Anthony G. Attrino - May 18, 2009)
Cedar Grove Mayor Paul Lee on Monday denied an animal rights activist from Millburn the opportunity to speak about the deer issue during the public comments portion of a town council meeting.

“You’re denying me my right to speak out. Let’s be clear,” said Janet Piszar.

“Yes,” said the mayor.

Piszar is well known in Millburn and other towns in Essex County for condemning lethal deer-management plans. She has protested many of the hunts, mostly in Millburn and in the South Mountain Reservation.

Cedar Grove officials in recent months have discussed proposals to kill deer in county-owned parts of the township, including the Hilltop, which includes Verona and North Caldwell.

Piszar tried to claim the council had met secretly to pass a resolution endorsing the county’s lethal deer-management plan. But the mayor would not let her speak.

“I’m not listening to your comments. You don’t live here,” Lee said.

Piszar said she and other animal-rights activists had been denied the opportunity to make a presentation during an April 6 Cedar Grove council meeting and that the town council had been deceptive on several fronts.

“That’s fine. That’s your opinion,” Lee said.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
[up][up][up] Finally some politicians that have the balls to tell them straight up that they are sick of thier shit !!! Kudo's to the mayor for sticking to his guns.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
[up][up][up]wish he was mayor in my town

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Eventually everyone sees these people for what they are.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
These people comeinto these meeting knowing they're not going to get what they want, so they immediately go into this chip on their shoulder mode and satrt grandstanding, making impassioned physco-babble speeches, talking about things only an extra-terrestrial being might be able to figure out, then they start to get disrespectful with the governing bodies! They do more harm to their cause than good, plus it makes a great show! Personnaly, I get embarass for them because they're too stupid to know they've made an ass out of themselves!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
county-owned parts of the township, including the Hilltop, which includes Verona and North

Guys I agree with your reasoning BUT the mayor will more than likely be over-ruled because of the above. It might be a town meeting but it involves "county-owned" property. The rules get vague here. Anyone, nut cases too that live in the county should have the right to speak about county property.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
might be a town meeting but it involves "county-owned" property.
Technically true, BUT---Scotch Plains has held a controlled shot (White Buffalo[mad])on county property between 2 county golf courses, and Watchung clears out county property right next to private property in their town.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I commented online to this article as such:
(with a little of Michael Waddels words;-)

It seems there are too many concerns regarding the use of guns and bullets. Why not allow insured bowhunters from tree stands perform the hunts? For those who state "Deer management activities in reality is deer slaughtering", just remember these comments the next time your stomach growls and hunger pains hit you as you head down the interstate and you start looking for an exit with the ever visible Golden Arches nearby. See, you are hunting, but opt to let a hamburger company do the killing for you. What is everyone's take on all the car accidents occurring in town? An accident I guess, right? Don't we as humans try to implement measures to avoid accidents? You see the deer population is quite high so their habitat is affected. There is just not enough food source to go around in the woods for them so they venture out to all the lush landscaped properties we have. Without proper nourishment many of these deer would face disease and ultimately death. I hope this makes people realize that deer management is much more then what most think.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Technically true, BUT---Scotch Plains has held a controlled shot
Wasn't disputing their right to have the hunt. I was commenting that she will have the right to speak out about it provided she is a county resident.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Some towns have awesome mayors and councils while others don't. Cedar Grove is one of those towns where the mayor has a backbone!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
We should all take the time to e-mail him and let him know he did the right thing

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
“I’m not listening to your comments. You don’t live here,” Lee said.
Outstanding job, Mayor Lee!!! [up]

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In response to my above comment someone wote:
On May 19, 2009 GINA said:
Excuse me, but like i wrote in the Cedar Grove Observer, they are not venturing out into our LUSH gardens, we are building on THEIR lush habitat....... We have NNNNNOOOOOO right to killl anything. The only thing that deer do is eat our precious plants. Well guess what TOO BAD.....Car accidents MAY JUST be from people speeding along long stretch of roads. WE need to be more careful of this beautiful species. They do nothing to hurt humans, yet we want to slaughter them....We have criminals who molest children, we have drunk drivers who kill people every day, hurting our own on purpose and we dont slaughter them. And YES I do have lyme disease, but i think it is inhumane to kill a animal. Lets face it, out society is not starving for food. And until that day comes i am TOTALLY against killing something simply because it is IN MY WAY.......

I had to repy with:
On May 19, 2009 JOHN said:

"i think it is inhumane to kill a animal" "We have NNNNNOOOOOO right to killl anything" Difficult to understand since most people eat beef, poultry and fish"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts