·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Nice fish [up]

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Nice,

In NY I have never heard of them being stocked. They only way you find them is as natives...

They are native to one of the local streams I fish in my home town. Since they are non-reproducing what that really means is that they are naturally occuring crosses between the native brookies and the stocked browns that live in the stream. (This usual occurs for only so long until the brookies are natural wiped out...That is why it is so rare for the tiger trout to truly occur natural. For that to happen the brookies have to have some unusual edge in that particular stream to hold out against the invasion of the dominant and more aggressive brookies...)

JC

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The three big boys were all caught within 45 minutes...so that makes it my best EVER 45 minutes of trout fishing.....

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Congrats and Nice tiger. I don't see them alot in NJ. I do know PA satocks them quite a bit. My wife caught on about 14 inches a few years ago.I'll post a pic. later.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Nice,

In NY I have never heard of them being stocked. They only way you find them is as natives...
only native fish in NY are brookies, I think JC means "wild", I just love to correct him...

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
the trout I see in the pictures are all browns brookies and bows. This is what a tiger trout looks like. They are a hybred between a brown and a brookie. They used to stock them in the town lake that I used to fish in Pequannock NJ.
http://www.patrout.org/tiger.htm

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
They are sterile they can't breed on their own.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts