New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good place where i can take my 6 year old son and catch carp and catfish from shore. Any help would be appreciated. I live in central jersey and would like to stay within 30 minutes if possible.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Depending where you're at in Central Jersey, you can catch catfish and carp in Deal Lake (near Asbury Park, NJ) and monster channel catfish in Lake Como in Belmar, NJ.

Lake Topenemus in Freehold, NJ near Monmouth County Courthouse, Lake Takanassee (in Long Branch, NJ) and Spring Lake, as well as Lake Shennendoah in Ocean County are also pretty good, but they're stocked with trout and it gets pretty crowded.

Also, there is pay-to-fish at Moulders Fish Preserve out near Englishtown, NJ - Great catfishing there and catch and release or pay per the pound for catfish!!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my boat in belmar, wehre is lake como? What should i use for bait for the big cats, when is best time to fish and where exactly should i fish? Do i need a boat to catch them there as weel? Sorry for all the question but appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You can fish the shoreline from Lake Como. It's along Ocean Ave. at the Belmar/Spring Lake border directly across the street from the beach.

You also have Wreck Pond (Sea Girt) and Forge Pond (Brick Twp.)down that way that also produce catfish, perch, crappie, bass, and even Stripers and hybrid Stripers.

Just stop at any gas station and they can point you in the right direction or check out the following link for directions to all lakes in the Monmouth County area (link actually lists all NJ Ponds & Lakes w/directions link through Mapquest)

http://njbassanglers.com/places.php#monmouth

The best bait that I've found is Canadian Goose &/or Duck livers and gizzards - I usually save them from the hunting season. But, Chicken Livers will do(buy them at your local supermarket).

Put them on the hook and I like to use the stretchy elastic string that you can buy in any saltwater bait & tackle shop (used mainly to hold clams onto your hooks when fishing for Stripers) to hold the livers on the hook better.

I use a light sliding egg sinker placed above a barrel swivel, then about 2 ft. of line off of the barrel swivel to the hook. I use either #6 or #8 Eagle Claw baitholder hooks or the same size treble hooks. 6# - 10 # test will do the trick. Just cast out, put the rod in a rod holder, then I like to leave the drag really loose, especially when fishing more than one rod.

If fishing in low light situations, tape a "glow stick" onto the rod near the tip using black electrical tape (it's easy to take off when done fishing), or sometimes you can even stick the "glow stick" through the supports on the last eye of the rod.

I've caught and released channel cats over 15#'s out of Lake Como.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts