New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why so many people practice catch and release in freshwater but in saltwater it seems everyone wants to keep everything they catch.

What's up with that do the saltwater fish taste THAT much better?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Get ready to hear how much everyone spends to go fish in saltwater and therefore entitles them to practice fuzzy math when measuring a keeper or counting their limit.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I think saltwater fish taste better. I keep some freshwater, but not many. Saltwater I go possible 2-3 times a year, so I'm gonna keep them.I still follow the size limits and bag limits though. Freshwater, I go 75-100 times a year so I'm gonna be more choosy. Freshwater fish though I will keep mostly in the winter because to me they taste better then.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would think thats its because if you are fishing in a pond or lake, the fish population is limited, and if you keep alot, you could do alot of damage to the population, but in the ocean, there is a much more abundant amount of fish. Just a guess.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Just like screaming eagle said, I don't get out salwater fishing that much so when I do and am able to get a keeper in the boat I want to take it home. I've never kept a freshwater fish though, never had a desire to eat it.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I think a lot of it comes down to money and whos doing the fishing. In freshwater you seem to get the more skilled bunch that like to catch the fish and want to keep catching them next time they go. Then you get the tourists that hop on a party boat as they go down to the shore and want bragging rights for their buddies at work.

I dont keep freshwater fish because half the ponds I fish in have signs that say

"eating fish from these waters may be harmful to your health."

They also dont taste as good to me.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Just like screaming eagle said, I don't get out salwater fishing that much so when I do and am able to get a keeper in the boat I want to take it home. I've never kept a freshwater fish though, never had a desire to eat it.

I agree with keeping saltwater fish to eat and having no desire to eat fresh water fish. Ive done alot of salt water but no freshwater this year..i do however eat tilapia and tuna on a daily basis

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I prefer to eat many many different kinds of saltwater fish vs freshwater species. Just look at the supermarkets and and restraunts how much saltwater fare they sell compared to freshwater. Alot of fresh waters around my way are polluted for fish comsumption . I will eat crappies if caught at a clean body of freshwater though. Also smaller bodies of freshwater lakes can easily be depleated if overfished and the fish arent released.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Salt water fish have the same advisories in most if not all of the states fisheries

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
most guys think because of the size of the water, they have unlimited supply of fish in it.
i fish salt almost every weekend. i want fish to eat every trip. but sometimes it doesn't work out.
but i'll take cool water crappies over bluefish every day of the week.

In freshwater you seem to get the more skilled bunch that like to catch the fish and want to keep catching them next time they go.
chris, you need to spend time with a captain, one that makes his living at it. his carter may be a bunch of beer drinking, puking slobs. but the captain and his mate are the skill. they need fish on board, every trip. and sometimes that is every 6 hours, all weekend.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I think there were questions on that a couple of weeks back when guys were choosing to kill all of the female striped bass.
Male or female, if the striper I catch is legal by law and not spawning or in a closed season then im keeping and eating it and not feeling one bit bad about it. I get out only on a few trips a years I will keep a legal female without guilt so long as the law allows. You can go on and on with that arguement with fawns, does , etc. If it becomes illegal, them I will release them without hesitation.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I have always lived so close to the ocean it was just a way of life to enjoy the bounty of the sea I grew up crabbing,claming,and fishing the bay and ocean that is just a way of life to keep what I catch, if legal of course. I equally love fresh water fishing but mainly caught and released out of the local pond that I bass fish at.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I think that most anglers think the numbers of fish in salt to reproduce are much greater than in a locked body of water i.e.:lakes and ponds.
Also most salt water fish are better on da table.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i usually only eat saltwater fish cause theyre cleaner and they taste better, while i have taken an occasional crappie or large sunfish which taste pretty good, neither of them compare to a nice fillet of fluke, tog or striper

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Salt:
I keep only what me and my immediate family can consume. Although I did keep one this year for my dad since he can't get out much anymore.
I caught countless stripers this year and kept 3.
Come fall, I'll keep about 3 more and all others will go back.
Usually I try to keep the smaller 30-36 inch fish for me and the wife\kids, and try to release larger fish. To me, the larger bass taste like carp.
Fluke = I'll keep all legal ones (so most go back anyway)
Perch = I'll keep enough for a few meals and only the ones that I'll get nice sized filets off of.
Never again will I keep 100 perch, too much to filet.
Tog = Don't get much opportunity, but they do taste good.
Seabass = Don't get opportunity to catch either.
Bluefish = never keep
Weakfish = Used to keep my limits when they were around real good. Stocks are sore now, so I won't target them, and if I do catch some, I'll release them.

Freshwater fish = I'd rather release them and bring my kids back and let them catch them. smiles are much better than a full belly.

The ocean doesn't have an endless supply of fish. I can only hope that everyone realizes that we all need to do our part to ensure the future existance of these fish. remember, it wasn't long ago that striped bass were on the threatened list and we had a morotorium to deal with. A lot of experts are saying that we'll see this again very soon. Weakfish stocks are about to be assessed and I wouldn't be surprised if we see some huge regulation changes in them as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts