New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get rid of carpenter ants? I have a pretty good size tree that hangs over the driveway, and noticed sawdust under it. I looked up and can actually see the sawdust flying out of the branch. I soaked the branch with Sevin and swept up the sawdust, but today its back. Short of calling an exterminator, is there anything that can be done? Its the last tree left on my property and I dont want to lose it.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I'd recommend getting an exterminator in there. They're nasty little buggers and can be tough to get rid of without the proper treatment not to mention the damage they can do to your house and your landscaping. I get my property treated once a year for them, it costs a little but its a lot better than having to deal with something major further down the road.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Most likely the tree is in bad shape internally. For around the exterior of the house i use stuff called "NiBan", basically Borax. You could buy it off the Internet. Borax kills the ants. You could sprinkle it inside the open channels of the tree where the ants are.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
From what I remember, Sevin is more of a protector rather than a killer. Try something that will actually kill them like raid, and if that doesn't work, then I would go the exterminator route.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ingalls,
Try something called "TERRO" its sold at home depot or lowes. its a liguid bait and comes in a red and blue box. it works great.
Good luck.
Tonyj

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
When I was doing p/c I would place bait on the travel lines. if you go out at night with a light you can find the lines. use a bait that they take back to the nest. other wise you need to treat the holes. to get it to the nest, that is very hard. also there are some granular type baits that can be put down just read the lable for treatment

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
I have some oaks that were attacked. Then the pileated chopped big holes ten feet up and knocked himself silly boring 3"-4" into the tree. Then the ants started and the sawdust was falling. I put some of that pruning tar you use on cut branches in there and no more ants, trees still living three years later. It worked here good luck

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have an office in Ringwood and Basking Ridge. When you're ready call a pro, just don't wait too long or you will lose the tree.

PS Whoever you get to do the work , make sure they wet spray with Termidor. ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
For you pro guys ... I see carpenter ants in my kitchen and bathroom ... only in warmer months ... could they be just visiting or do I have a nest in the walls somewhere? Is there any ay for a homeowner to get rid of them themselves? .... honest answer here ... I know you need to make money but I am POOR !!!!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I had carpenter ants in my house 10 years ago. Black ants...some big and some small. Terminex was called but that guy did very little and just sprayed. Next year he did the same and we still had ants. I took the day off to work with the guy and hope he would find the nest. He was very lazy and I terminated the contract. A few months later I was outside on the front yard playing catch with my son. It was a warm, humid, early evening and they sky was overcast (all white clouds). Believe me, this is leading to good info...

So, I happened to look up while playing catch with my son and what did I see? I saw an image going across my telephone wire to the house. I walked closer and saw it was moving. I got the extension ladder out and climbed up the side of the house and to my amazement I saw a carpenter ant coming right to the house, onto the siding and around the siding and out of sight. I look down the phone wire back to the pole and I saw probably 10 more ants marching my way. I shook the wire violantly and knocked them all off. I stood up there on the ladder for about a minute and low and behold more ants coming my way!!

That night I sat and htought about what to do???? I could spray, but the ants will walk right over the spray. Besides, how much spraying can you do on the phone wire? I thought about fabricating something to deter the ants from getting onto my house. I had nothing. Then went on-line and looked for ant baits. Bingo! I bought a bait made by MaxForce over the internet. It's called MaxForce Carptenter Ant Bait Gel. A gel! That's what I needed to put on the telephone wire and it would stick.

About a week later the bait comes in the mail and up on the wire I went. I squirted some of the clear gel onto the wire. It has the consistency of vaseline and just globs onto anything. You could apply the bait upside down and it would still hold.

Long story short, I applied this bait for like 5-7 consecutive nights and reapplied if it rained earlier that day. Low and behold, within I would say a month, we no longer had ants in the house in the rooms we always saw them. And the proof is no more ants coming across on the telephone wire. It's been over 6 years now and not one carpenter ant in the house!

So, my advice to you is twofold. First, get a tree expert over to your home to inspect that tree. They will be able to determine how extensive the damage to your tree might be. Believe it or not, those little buggers can eat away the inside of your tree like there's no tomorrow and when a decent wind storm comes, your tree will fall. I split a lot of firewood and see a lot of trees taken down and it is amazing how those ants can hollow out the inside of a tree where you only really have solid wood on the outside 2 inches of the tree while the middle is hollow or very soft. Second, get MaxForce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel and put some of that down, like if you have a lot of ants, put down enough as if you were putting toothpaste on your toothbrush. Watch the ants eat it and they take it back to share with the colony. You will kill most or maybe all of the colony.

If you are lucky, and if you can locate the actual nest in the tree, then buy some highly potent chemical stuff and kill them all. The key is to locate the nest and kill the queen and all the others!

PM me if you have any questions. I am not an exterminator...I have just a very good background in home maintenance.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I pussed out and called an exterminator that has a shop down the road hoping a neighborhood place wont take me for a ride. Im kicking myself for not trying to do it myself, and watching to make sure my nads dont fall off completely. Its just that its the only tree I have left, and it provides great shade. That and the fact that it will completely destroy my house if it falls down. Thanks again for all the suggestions, and Im saving this page for reference if the situation comes up again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts