New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Lawrence Harbor jetties and we saw 3-4 large fish by the rocks and one of the guys said it was carp. They did look like carp and were quite big. I never heard of carp swimming in saltwater, is that possible?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i never heard of the lawrence harbor, but were they black drum? carp will take brackish water, but i don't think they could handle salt.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't think they were drum. I have caught drum before as well as carp, they really looked like carp.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i see carp every day in the tidal creeks and rivers in longbranch and oceanport.caught and released some over 10 lbs.brackish water i guess,but also have seen bunker,small blues and stripers

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Funny to see this post, I could of swore I seen a dead carp around 10lbs floating in the creek a half mile upriver from lawrence harbour today[confused]

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Typical Chloride concentrations in Backwater Bays, like Lawrence Harbor is around 3500mg/l, Newark Bay, The Hackensack and Passaic Rivers are tidal waters, up to a certain point, thus considered brackish water. Carp will survive in these concentrations. Typical Ocean water is 35,000 mg/l, carp will not survive.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I dont think they can handle salt water either but the salinity of the bay can change with a large amount of rain... so I guess theres an outside chance that its possible.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
newark bay we see them all the time they come down out of the meadow lands which is loaded and so is the pasic river both end up in newark bay we also catch lots of white perch

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think they can survive in saltwater but I guess the salinity factor is a good argument and they may be able to survive to some extent. Unfortunately once the salinity reaches normal again and the fish can't get back to fresh/brackish water there is little chance for survival. One of the fish I saw was pretty big, at least over 25 lbs.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Typical Chloride concentrations in Backwater Bays, like Lawrence Harbor is around 3500mg/l, Newark Bay, The Hackensack and Passaic Rivers are tidal waters, up to a certain point, thus considered brackish water. Carp will survive in these concentrations. Typical Ocean water is 35,000 mg/l, carp will not survive.

90,000 on an education and it finaly came in handy....

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome info everybody! Catskillhuntr, I don't think they were sturgeon though but thanks for the input. Next question is "How do I catch one"?????

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was crabbing by my brothers house which is right on the bay last year and we had a big snapping turtle trying to take our chicken wings from our drop lines. I would pull the thing halfway out of the water before it would let go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts