New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Lawrence Harbor jetties and we saw 3-4 large fish by the rocks and one of the guys said it was carp. They did look like carp and were quite big. I never heard of carp swimming in saltwater, is that possible?

· Registered
5,414 Posts
i never heard of the lawrence harbor, but were they black drum? carp will take brackish water, but i don't think they could handle salt.

· Registered
3,014 Posts
Typical Chloride concentrations in Backwater Bays, like Lawrence Harbor is around 3500mg/l, Newark Bay, The Hackensack and Passaic Rivers are tidal waters, up to a certain point, thus considered brackish water. Carp will survive in these concentrations. Typical Ocean water is 35,000 mg/l, carp will not survive.

· Registered
3,123 Posts
I dont think they can handle salt water either but the salinity of the bay can change with a large amount of rain... so I guess theres an outside chance that its possible.

· Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think they can survive in saltwater but I guess the salinity factor is a good argument and they may be able to survive to some extent. Unfortunately once the salinity reaches normal again and the fish can't get back to fresh/brackish water there is little chance for survival. One of the fish I saw was pretty big, at least over 25 lbs.

· Registered
9,561 Posts
Typical Chloride concentrations in Backwater Bays, like Lawrence Harbor is around 3500mg/l, Newark Bay, The Hackensack and Passaic Rivers are tidal waters, up to a certain point, thus considered brackish water. Carp will survive in these concentrations. Typical Ocean water is 35,000 mg/l, carp will not survive.

90,000 on an education and it finaly came in handy....

· Registered
576 Posts
I was crabbing by my brothers house which is right on the bay last year and we had a big snapping turtle trying to take our chicken wings from our drop lines. I would pull the thing halfway out of the water before it would let go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.