New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I saw deer every time I was out. My last 3 post i haven't seen a deer. ACORNS ACORNS ACORNS are everywhere. Where can I find the Deer? To many acorns to pinpoint the deer. Are they eating Acorns in heavy cover? Im kind of at a stumped with what to do. Im just going to use my climber and keep moving to different funnels and pinch points until I intercept one.
Any suggestions??

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
I feel your pain...
With Acorns everywhere...The big boyz don't have to move far to get vittles.
Find the white oaks.
I've been finding mostly red oaks but where I've found white oaks,I've found plenty of deer sign.
Now if I can only locate a white oak flat next to a good bedding area.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Thought we just did this thread?
Hunt the trails from the beds to the acorns.
At the edge of the thick stuff before they get to the acorns. catch them coming out of the beds. Sitting in the middle of the oak stand won't get you much. The edges are where its at.
Check the other thread.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That thread was about the lack of Mature Bucks being shot. Although it was hijacked and turned into a bait debate thread.
Thought Id start another thread!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
At the edge of the thick stuff before they get to the acorns. catch them coming out of the beds. Sitting in the middle of the oak stand won't get you much. The edges are where its at.
Check the other thread.
there u go...from the master himself. Im sure John (jrhunt) never thought of those tactics. You also enlightened me as to how to hunt. Thank you Mr. master.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
lets keep this topic clean and soaked with info.
i to am having a hard time. its hunting and i love it but the deer have really changed all there runs big time. there fat and lazy and sitting most of the day and hitting bait late and dippng back in the cedars

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
WHITE OAKS!!!!!!! WHITE OAKS!!!!!!!! WHITE OAKS!!!!!!! WHITE OAKS!!!!![wallmad][wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
637 Posts
I was at the range this morning and the wind started to blow. Let me tell you ... those acorns hurt when you start getting pelted in the head with them.

Didn't see any deer at the range though.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I had a 3 pointer come in tonight. He was bedded about 75 yards from me and I didn't know it. He stood up fed on acorns until he was 10 yards from me. He stayed there for 1/2 hour then bedded 30 yards behind me when he was full. He got up and repeated the same process about an hour later. Point is they can bed anywhere right now and do not have to move far to fill their bellies. This makes for tough hunting.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
I hear ya JR....i hear ya...

Check the other thread.
This dude shoots one 100in deer and thinks he is a god....unreal

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't get it? The post ask "Where can I find the deer?" "Any Suggestions?" Deermaster offered what I thought was sound advice, and he gets ridiculed. Am I missing something?[confused]

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ok, whats the deal with white oaks? Did I miss something here?
Why deer prefer white oak acorns
By Matt Tarr, Whitetail Stewards, Inc.

White oak vs. red oak acorns
While palatability, or taste preference, is difficult to measure in wild animals, most biologists believe that deer prefer acorns produced by white oaks over those of red oaks. This preference is attributed to the lower tannin content in white oak acorns.

What are tannins?
Tannins are chemical compounds produced by plants to discourage predators from eating their seeds, leaves and stems. Tannins in acorns have two basic effects on wildlife. First, they make red oak acorns taste very bitter (To see for yourself, peel a red oak acorn and pop it in your mouth!). Second, tannins can decrease an animal's ability to digest protein, and in severe cases, can cause the animals to loose more protein than it actually ingests. Deer are interesting in that they have developed a defense against tannins; their saliva contains compounds that bind to tannins, thereby reducing their negative effect on protein digestion.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I have a spot that is right inside the edge of a nasty swamp, about 125 yards off a lush green bean field. The deer bed on grassy mounds in the swamp, some only about 100 yards from my stand. Between the swamp and beans is an oak flat, and about 15 yards from my tree is where the white oaks start, with plenty of acorns on the ground. I also have a persimmon tree about 10 yards away dropping heavily.

Not seeing anything here, or at any of the stands I have. Cameras show them all in the dark. There are several guys hunting the more open hardwoods between me and the field. It's public land and I think the pressure has had them nocturnal since about day 3.

Another WMA I hunt has been pounded. The woods are beech and hickory, with some oaks, but not alot of ground cover. The thickest places on the WMA are the corn fields, which were driven the first Sunday of the season, so I think those deer have left the property.

You have to look long and hard to find something that is not so pressured the deer have gone noctural, but if you find that spot, you'll see deer.

I'm now thinking that 6-day will be a very good season this year. All this pressure will make it hard to kill a deer in bow season, and make drives about the only way to kill them on public land.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I had to adjust as well by moving to a bigger hardwood piece of property I have. Found an Oak ridge full of acorns and sat there a couple of nights ago. I had 7 deer right underneath me including 2 small bucks. The sign in there was incredible, the ground was all tore up where they have been rooting around. May go back there soon and hope a big guy comes through since I saw some monster rubs!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts