New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this board and a third year hunter. I become more and more addicted by the year. I have hunted deer and geese and may try turkey.
I have scouted out a deer spot and currently am trying some deer management techniques-feeding/minerals and overall just learning as I go.
My goose hunting consists of waiting in a field near my deer spot hoping they fly over. For the most part I just enjoy being out there practicing my
goose calls. I hunt in southern/central ocean county. I have no friends that hunt.
From the few posts I have read, asking for someone to show you a spot is not a good idea to say the least. I am however willing to buy or trade for the
opportunity to be shown an area where Canada geese are plentiful or often fly over and can be hunted. I would be willing to be the one to ask permission if anyone knows
a field owned by a farmer that will soon be cut.
If you have any constructive ideas regarding scouting for places please leave them. I'm not lazy and have done a decent amount of scouting in the pine barrens
and have hiked many trails but honestly I mostly have found areas to hunt deer but see Canadas at either golf courses or giant lawns/soccer fields.
Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
852 Posts
this time of year it's kinda hard to locate a good flock of birds consistently they are resident birds. Water is your best bet since most farmers still have crops. I don't know what your knowledge is but geese are migratory so they move south in winter that's when we get a lot more birds. Your best bet is to drive around and pay attention I find them on the water somewhere where they roost and wait for them to move and then follow them where they are headed then go see if I can get permission. Try not to shoot them on the roost site they won't come back. This time of year the birds don't have to move because there is food and great weather they will stay put. Find some water look for birds and go follow them. Asking for spots is a no-no because people work really hard to find spots and keep them. You have offered up something that others haven't the willingness to work for what you want. Pull maps of the wma's and the federal lands down on the coast and go drive around and see what you find if you have any questions about rules and such let me know. I can't really give you a starting point because this is how I do it. Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will try that. I think I need to research
Some of the wmas

this time of year it's kinda hard to locate a good flock of birds consistently they are resident birds. Water is your best bet since most farmers still have crops. I don't know what your knowledge is but geese are migratory so they move south in winter that's when we get a lot more birds. Your best bet is to drive around and pay attention I find them on the water somewhere where they roost and wait for them to move and then follow them where they are headed then go see if I can get permission. Try not to shoot them on the roost site they won't come back. This time of year the birds don't have to move because there is food and great weather they will stay put. Find some water look for birds and go follow them. Asking for spots is a no-no because people work really hard to find spots and keep them. You have offered up something that others haven't the willingness to work for what you want. Pull maps of the wma's and the federal lands down on the coast and go drive around and see what you find if you have any questions about rules and such let me know. I can't really give you a starting point because this is how I do it. Chris

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This is what my buddies and I do. We find big water that we have seen geese by. We hunt it a few times. If we don't shoot geese we look for a new spot. We do that several times through out the year and it seems to work. Remember they're wild animals, so their behavior can't be 100% predictable. And like gruntinbuck said, right now field hunting is tough because a lot of farmers' crops are still up. So look for water and the key is to get out and HUNT it.

You never know what could happen. And don't get discouraged. Even though you see geese on soccer fields, golf courses and are able to get close, they are completely different once you hunt them.

Good luck

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes. Whats the next step? I dont actually think seeing geese
on a soccer field in a town counts as a first step.
Well just like any other spot that you're not allowed to hunt, what do you do? You sit and wait to see where the geese are coming from and where they go after that non-huntable spot. If you stick around those fields and wait for them to either show up or leave, you might find them in a different spot where you can hunt... Im guessing that second or third spot is water, they are probably on water then leave to go feed on the fields.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Resident geese are not going to work to calling like the migratory birds do.
They know where they want to move daily back and forth from roost to feed.
You need to find a spot they are frequenting or a spot on their normal daily routes.
Find that spot and hunting the resident birds is easy.

Migratory birds respond to calling and decoy set up from much greater distances .

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
With resident geese, it's all about being where they have set up their homes and feeding areas. If you don't have it, it's almost a waste of time. Different animal from migratory birds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts