New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have been waiting so long for my FID, I have made a small list of the guns I would like to have for hunting. Is it uncommon to purchase more than one gun at a time? Does it require multiple NICS checks?

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
There's no limit on long gun purchases in NJ, buy as many as you want at a time. As long as it's a single transaction, only 1 NICS check is required. [up]

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't want to look like a maniac buying a bunch of guns at once. I have some tax money to burn. Once I get my FID I would like to get.....

12ga Pump - Deer Hunting - Private purchase pending from NJH member
12 or 20ga single shot - Small Game
.50cal Muzzleloader - Deer Hunting
.22 Long Rifle - Target Shooting

I'm not saying I am going to buy all of these at once but I want to buy a couple of them at the same time.

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
just so you know...

NICS check is only required when purchasing from an FFL dealer (not face-to-face private sales) ... and if the ".50 cal Muzzleloader" you're refering to is a dedicated ML without the ability to switch barrels to a cartridge firearm, no NICS check needed on that one either. [up]

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want the option to take a second shot on a deer if need be. I want a single shot for small game.....a gun not as heavy since I would be carrying it around a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have never needed a second shot but after hunting Assunpink WMA I heard more shots will follow ups then I had ever thought possible. A lot of people are either really poor shots or just like to re-enact the beach landing on Normandy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts