New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied for my permit in feb. with the Glocester twp. police. On april 22 I went to the dept. to find out the status. I was told everything was done they were just waiting on the detectives report. I went back today and it is sitting in the same pile.They said they were very busy and dont know when they will get to it. I found this law online added below. What can I do to resolve this. Do I have to go to the mayor or threaten to get an attorney. The sad part is I dont even want to buy a gun I just need it to join a sportmaans club. Now I am missing out on all the summer activities because I cant get my I.D.

N.J.S.2C:58-3f. Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2.00, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5.00, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants. A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the card shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to the superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority. Failure of the holder to return the firearms purchaser identification card to the superintendent within the said five days shall be an offense under section 2C:39-10a. Any firearms purchaser identification card may be revoked by the Superior Court of the county wherein the card was issued, after hearing upon notice, upon a finding that the holder thereof no longer qualifies for the issuance of such permit. The county prosecutor of any county, the chief police officer of any municipality or any citizen may apply to such court at any time for the revocation of such card.

There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Insist on a meeting with the Chief of Police. Don't take no for an answer. If he will not meet with you then go to the Mayor and council.

You should be on a first name basis with your Chief of police anyway.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
be polite you're at their mercy, unless you want to hire an attorney! The Chief is not a bad option explain to him that its for a sportsmen's club, and you're not interested in buying a gun at this time.

What sucks is my town, in 2 weeks I got a handgun permit. 1 day to get a change of address when i moved here.

I know people in Newark and Jersy City that had to wait a year. Plus the mayor of JC, says he will not issue more than one permit a month, he thinks he's above the law1
The drunken bastard couldn't get a gun if he wanted too! But he has armed guard protecting his fat ass!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Plus the mayor of JC, says he will not issue more than one permit a month, he thinks he's above the law
I use to drink at Barry's tavern in Bradley Beach all the time. It's family owned and his 2 sons worked there. Real nice guys, but you're right. The dad is a dick who thinks he's above the law.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I sent an email to the mayor and this is the excuse I got. I guess that accomplished nothing.

As a follow-up to my message (below), I have received information from Police Chief Smith regarding your complaint. Chief Smith indicated that it is true that it is taking more time than usual to process all the requests the Police have received. This back log of requests has resulted from a shortage of employees (injuries on duty, medical leaves, retirements, etc.). His department is working diligently to get all the requests processed as quickly as possible. Please accept our apology for the delay.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I can say this, alot of PD's are short handed.Mahwah just lost 5 to retirement and they are not replacing them due to the city not wanting to for whatever reason.

I just called the Oakland PD today to check on the status of mine.well actually been calling for a few days ,and stopped in a couple times. the Detective has been out alot.It is legit though, alot of stuff going on around here. he did apoligize for taking so long,but it will be ready next week.I Told him it wasn't his fault,and he was just doing his job.

I got into some pretty serious trouble 14 years ago and had it all straightened out in VA, a couple dismissed ,a bunch dropped and a couple expunged. Well the 2 dismissed ones and the 2 expunged ones showed up.I had to get letters of disposition ,which he sent to their lawyer to translate. even with all that 4 months. I actually would have got it withen 30 days(like 20 i believe) but that snag screwed us all up.I am actually Quite happy,HE DID HIS JOB.He was making sure everything was legit,thus protecting
the public.He was serving me by helping me get everything straightened out. I say Bravo for his work.

Face it things do not always go as they should.They have a very large job if you think about it.They have to keep us safe and serve us,and this world is a nasty place with crime of all sorts. they have their hands full as is,when you through in budget problems so they don't hire new officers.A large amount of crime,like in bigger cities.domestic destubances,ect ect ect.

I do however agree that there are faults with the system.they should have a division just for that purpose in the police departments.That could drasticly cut back on time.The city,town,county and state government needs to get their priorities straight. Do they really need that shiny new car, or can they use that money for another officer on the street,or in the office?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I do however agree that there are faults with the system.they should have a division just for that purpose in the police departments
The entire NJ FPID system should be eliminated. It's redundant and intrusive and violates the 2A. As in other states an Instant background check is just as effective.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just dont understand the law is the law it says 30 days. If I get pulled over for speeding can I tell them its ok I am allowed because they are short staffed. Thats why I gave them the 2 extra months to begin with.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
i just dont understand the law is the law it says 30 days
The laws are made by those that have no clue about "real world" issues.

The entire NJ FPID system should be eliminated. It's redundant and intrusive and violates the 2A. As in other states an Instant background check is just as effective
But at the same time do you want to go through the background check EVERY time you buy a firearm?Remember I did live in Virginia where they do that.I would much rather go through that crap once and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
But at the same time do you want to go through the background check EVERY time you buy a firearm?
You do go thru a background check every time you buy a firearm in NJ.
As a matter of fact, if you buy handguns, then you go thru 2 background checks every time you purchase one.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
But at the same time do you want to go through the background check EVERY time you buy a firearm?Remember I did live in Virginia where they do that.I would much rather go through that crap once and be done with it.
What flat said....

BTW, NICS is FREE. NJ is making $18 profit on every background check.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Remember they work for us period!Picture yourself as the employer.If your employee is working to your standards you fire him!!Don't take this from the local pd.The state knows the law that is why they do their part as soon as the town sends it in.They all cry that there are more important things to do.Well tell them this is part of their job like it or not.We didn't write the stupid law!Their problem should not be made our problem.Go around them call the attorney general's office.They will refer you to your county prosecutor's office.I did one better go on www.state.nj.us/leg and find your senator.Call him or her and explain that this is unacceptable.After doing this I got mine two days later.Don't take their shit.Stand up for your freedoms.Be an asset not a liability.We can't sit back and let this stuff happen.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
man all i can say is sorry. I dont really have any advice on this subject.

i live in bridgewater,and the guy in charge of the gun paper work is great.

Oh here is a tip, make sure if you go in demanding to talk to the chief you dont tazed!![ko]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.