New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've encountered mixed information on this topic. Can I hunt with my father's shotgun(s) without a FID and keep things legal? Can he give me a firearm to keep without a FID legally?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
yes and yes, fid is only for buying a long gun

·
Registered
177 Posts
I plan on using a shotgun and muzzle loader that a friend of mine is loaning me for the season. After talking to a game warden and reading as many gun laws as I could find on "hunting", from what I understand I can transport a firearm that is not registered to me for the purpose of hunting as long as I am traveling directly from home to my hunting location and directly back home. Obviously abiding to all other laws about transporting firearms; it being unloaded and in a case and so on. An "FID" card is only needed to purchase a firearm not to own or posses one. I would suggest you do your own research and read the law for yourself before you listen to my interpretation of it or anyone else. Always better that way.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
An FID card is also needed to purchase any caliber ammo that can fired out of a handgun. You dont need the card to hunt wiith or transport for hunting, however if you have any plan on being a gun owner at all, I would suggest just getting one.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I owned guns for years before I got an FID. You can buy your kid a gun, and he can legally transport/hunt without an FID

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
There is no registration!

There is no registration!

Maybe people should actually communicate with the NJ2AS and attend meetings or read the law or know that when they vote this is what they are voting about.

What makes people go to a hunting forum and believe what they find? Then follow a post that involves firearms and take it as rule?

At some point if you live and hunt and shoot you are probably going to need an NJFID.

Go get it.

Yes there are conditions which you may not need it with a valid hunting license.

I had mine when I lived in NJ. Since I have moved out of that god awful state I make all of my purchases in PA and only hunt in NJ with out a NJFID but with a valid hunting license.

I find it amazing hunters will want a gun but stay away from the fighting for rights.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The answer is no. I went thru this a few years ago with an x brother in law(only to find out he had a criminal record) you can not drive around with a firearm that isnt yours. The only way is if your friend or dad is present and transfer happens in the field. Welcome to the peoples republic of new jersey. Just go get an fid! Lungbuster is right but the problem is god forbid something bad happens. You and the gun owner sre going to need a good lawyer

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
yes and yes, fid is only for buying a long gun
NO NO NO You are incorrect, a father can not give a son a gun without a completed S.P.634, the exception is if the father DIES he can leave the guns to the son who can legally possess them without a FID. A father can allow a son or any non convicted felon the use of a gun if hunting with the son but cannot give one as a gift without a S.P 634 and FID

·
Registered
184 Posts
NO NO NO You are incorrect, a father can not give a son a gun without a completed S.P.634, the exception is if the father DIES he can leave the guns to the son who can legally possess them without a FID. A father can allow a son or any non convicted felon the use of a gun if hunting with the son but cannot give one as a gift without a S.P 634 and FID
100% correct

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
This subject comes up often and at times is open for ones own interpretation, so the best thing to do is as others said apply for a FID, if those that have it keep it in your wallet takes up as much room as a DL, or a CC.....So if stopped and asked for it just show it, no one needs the BS one may encounter. My friend many years ago got stopped on opening day of shotgun as we where leaving the woods and heading to our trucks, it was federal officers, he didn't have his card on him but did have one, I did my best to explain to the officers under NJ law one doesn't need it on them for hunting or related activities but really they didn't want to hear it, he didn't get a fine or ticket or anything but a mouth full of blah blah blah. Only in People's Republic of New Jersey !!!!

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
First, nobody here asked your age. It makes a difference.

If you are 17 or under your father can LOAN you a firearm for hunting. You can legally transport it directly to and from hunting. Your father does not have to be present.

If you are over 18 the "Transfer" must occur in the field and not more than 8 hours. The owner must be present the entire time.

In order to take legal ownership from your father or anyone else while living in NJ you must have a NJ FPID. You must be 18 or over. You must fill out a Certificate of Eligibility.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I plan on using a shotgun and muzzle loader that a friend of mine is loaning me for the season. After talking to a game warden and reading as many gun laws as I could find on "hunting", from what I understand I can transport a firearm that is not registered to me for the purpose of hunting as long as I am traveling directly from home to my hunting location and directly back home. Obviously abiding to all other laws about transporting firearms; it being unloaded and in a case and so on. An "FID" card is only needed to purchase a firearm not to own or posses one. I would suggest you do your own research and read the law for yourself before you listen to my interpretation of it or anyone else. Always better that way.
This is done all the time but no, it's not legal. The friend must be present at all times and transfer must take place in the field.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
First, nobody here asked your age. It makes a difference.

If you are 17 or under your father can LOAN you a firearm for hunting. You can legally transport it directly to and from hunting. Your father does not have to be present.

If you are over 18 the "Transfer" must occur in the field and not more than 8 hours. The owner must be present the entire time.

In order to take legal ownership from your father or anyone else while living in NJ you must have a NJ FPID. You must be 18 or over. You must fill out a Certificate of Eligibility.
That is correct.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've encountered mixed information on this topic. Can I hunt with my father's shotgun(s) without a FID and keep things legal?yes, if he is hunting with you Can he give me a firearm to keep without a FID legally?No

Can I use a shotgun to hunt without a FID?Yes Can I possess a weapon without a FID? Yes, but only within the permitted exemptions

Your best to just go get an FID card and remove more of the potential issues that could come up. If you can't get an FID card, then you can't possess firearms - even for hunting (unless your a minor).

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't know what the "law" is, but I've been pulled over with a shotgun in the car by NJ state police and was never asked for a FID card. I've been checked by NJ game wardens in the field and was never asked for a FID card. They didn't ask if I had one or ask who owned the gun.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Firearms are not "registered in NJ. The FPID Card is essential for PURCHASING firearms but is not required to possess one as long as it was acquired legally in the first place. You may hunt without possessing one but you must have a lawful purpose it you are transporting one in your vehicle, such as hunting or going to a shooting range. Having said that there is a widespread misunderstanding about this and the misunderstanding may be held by police or even county prosecutors who may think that the lack of the card makes any possession or transportation of firearms illegal, per se. Bottom line, get the card and the next time someone wants to gift you a firearm fill out and retain the COE form.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know what the "law" is, but I've been pulled over with a shotgun in the car by NJ state police and was never asked for a FID card. I've been checked by NJ game wardens in the field and was never asked for a FID card. They didn't ask if I had one or ask who owned the gun.
that's all good until there is an accident or a complaint that may bring the law to your location

1 - 20 of 25 Posts