New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if a fox came into my stand would it be legal to harvest it with the bow? Also would that make is so I couldn't take a deer in te same day?

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I'm not bashing, but in the amount of time it took to ask this question here, you could have read the laws from the compendium/digest for yourself. All hunters/anglers/trappers are required to follow the laws, so please read them so you don't wind up afoul of them and make other ethical hunters look bad. That said, here's the info:

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - 2014-15 NJ Hunting and Trapping Digest

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Yes you can shoot a fox while bowhunting for deer, as long as you have a valid deer tag for that zone. It will not affect you as far as deer tags go, you can shoot the fox ,stay in your tree and shoot a deer if one comes by. This is for general DF&W regulations. There may be special rules to the property you are hunting. I hunt the Hunterdon County Parks, their rules state deer hunting only, so I can not shoot at fox, groundhogs , squirrels ect. I would not anyway as I would be afraid to spook the deer .

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not bashing, but in the amount of time it took to ask this question here, you could have read the laws from the compendium/digest for yourself. All hunters/anglers/trappers are required to follow the laws, so please read them so you don't wind up afoul of them and make other ethical hunters look bad. That said, here's the info:

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - 2014-15 NJ Hunting and Trapping Digest
I do read the laws. Sorry I wasn't sure about one law in particul and decided to ask a question. And I did look through the regulations. I saw stuff about firearms but nothing about bow hunting. Next time I'll just shoot something and make sure I check the laws after...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you can shoot a fox while bowhunting for deer, as long as you have a valid deer tag for that zone. It will not affect you as far as deer tags go, you can shoot the fox ,stay in your tree and shoot a deer if one comes by. This is for general DF&W regulations. There may be special rules to the property you are hunting. I hunt the Hunterdon County Parks, their rules state deer hunting only, so I can not shoot at fox, groundhogs , squirrels ect. I would not anyway as I would be afraid to spook the deer .
Thanks!! That's all the info I was looking for!!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Yup. See page 62:

In addition to the general coyote and fox seasons described in the chart below, properly licensed turkey hunters may legally harvest coyotes if encountered incidental to legal turkey hunting. Turkey hunters shall not actively pursue coyotes or have coyote calls or decoys in possession. Also, properly licensed persons hunting deer during the Six-day Firearm, Permit Muzzleloader or Permit Shotgun deer seasons may kill coyote or fox if the coyote or fox is encountered before the hunter has taken the season bag limit of deer. However, after the hunter
has taken a daily bag limit of deer, they must cease hunting immediately
. Incidental hunting of coyote or fox while deer hunting may resume the following day (provided the season remains open and the season bag limit of deer has not been reached.) Only applicable projectiles approved for deer hunting may be used to take coyote and fox incidental to deer hunting during the deer seasons described above. See Firearms, Bow and Ammunition chart, page 31.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I do read the laws. Sorry I wasn't sure about one law in particul and decided to ask a question. And I did look through the regulations. I saw stuff about firearms but nothing about bow hunting. Next time I'll just shoot something and make sure I check the laws after...
obviously you read nothing. go to jail.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Look under the "small game seasons" chart. You may kill a fox or coyote with a bow from Sept.13- Nov.7 for regulation sets 4-8.
Right. It says that in the Small Game Hunting Seasons chart on page 65 under the "coyote and fox, general" row. However, that's if you are for specifically hunting for fox, no?. The OP was asking "what if I'm deer hunting? Can I incidentally take a fox?" On that p. 65 chart, in the same row, reading the notes I see, "deer hunters may harvest coyote and fox during all open deer seasons with restrictions as specified under Small Game Hunting, Coyote and Fox, page 62."

So now that you pointed that out - I'm confused. That note says "deer hunters may harvest fox during all open deer seasons with restrictions." But you go to page 62 that they referred you, and it doesn't say that - it says incidental harvest only during six-day and permit ML and permit shotgun. Maybe that's what the note meant when it says "with restrictions". But I guess I don't know why they say "all open deer seasons" on page 65 when page 62 specifically does not mention incidental harvest during fall and winter bow (or even permit bow).

Once again, the digest is confusing.

My advice - email Div. Fish&Wildlife and ask. Point out the inconsistencies on pages 62 and 65 and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
That's exactly what I saw and was confused about....lol
You should really email DFW and ask for clarification. Those two parts of the digest are in conflict. One specifically says "only during six-day, permit ML, permit shotgun" and one says "all open deer seasons." Its easy to send them a question - go here and fill in the form: NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - E-mail the NJ Div. of Fish & Wildlife

You will get an answer in a day or two - I always get answers within a few days.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
How can they say you are not bowhunting for fox when you are in your treestand deer hunting? It is on those dates that are open to deerhunting with a bow that is why they mention regulation sets. There are no fox hunting regulation sets. You can not fox hunt in September in deer zones that don't open until October. I was surprised that you can not shoot them at the end of Permit Bow season though, I need to check the regs a bit more , even though I don't plan on shooting any fox. By the way I have seen Red Fox on almost every sit so far.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.