New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this have any effect on deer? I think I remember that it will lure in does rather then bucks during the early season....but id like to clear it up. Im still new to this whole deer hunting thing and want to do more things right this year!

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Fawn bleat will bring the mamas in[up]

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Im still new to this whole deer hunting thing and want to do more things right this year!
Chris, your doing well. The best I can tell you is take all the info you get, try it for yourself and learn what works best for you, especially your mistakes.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
I've used the Primos Lill'Can Bleat call for years and it has put many does in the kill zone that were heading in the opposite direction [up]

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
chris dont overcall,the can works great.
early season ,will make the does very curious .
about 2 weeks ago i was upstate working on my stands and stuff with my buddy and just sat down on the hill and enjoyed a cold one when we were done ,for a goof i pulled out my can and bleeted about 3 times maybe about 5 minutes tops and we had like 8 does run down a hill and stop right infront of us maybe like 25 yards and were very curious to where the noise came from.
so ye it still works[up]

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
The only luck I've had in fall bow with scents is a curiosity scent. I put a few drops out from my stand, and within 15 minutes had a doe sniffing all around. This was without any bait(corn, apples, etc.). Was able to draw her in from a parallel trail.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
deer vocalize all year. and if a doe comes into heat a buck will breed her any time. Fawn bleats as stated will bring in mom or another doe and some times they are real pissed. sometime they are reluctant. Grunts are a social and territorial sound and can both call and scare bucks depending on the bucks mind set and position in the group. the doe bleat is both a sound that fawns and yearlings need to hear and that bucks want to hear. the can when turned over slow will give the I want you sound to the buck when just a quick over and up again will give a short locate bleat. The doe bleat or a soft easy buck grunts are calming calls and can be used any time of the year. when bucks start to spar they will grunt and push in a non aggressive tone. in a mouth or so that tone will change.

On the 19Th I am doing a talk on proper deer scent use and calling in west creek. we are going to cover all this stuff.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Fawn bleats as stated will bring in mom or another doe and some times they are real pissed. sometime they are reluctant.  Grunts are a social and territorial sound and can both call and scare bucks depending on the bucks mind set and position in the group. 
I've heard does Bleat real hard and LOUD almost like a Grunt. Seems thats how they round up there lil ones. First time I heard it scared the crap out of me, I wasn't expecting it

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
I heard one do that loud bleat in a field about 75 yards away rfrom me and 3 different fawns can running full speed out of the corner of the field, it was neat to see and hear [up]

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
There is one grunt that will attract bucks in early season,I use it often. It's hard to explain but it's a low non-aggresive drawn out grunt that is like trying to say meoooooooow thru a grunt call. It's used by bucks looking for company and when done at first light really works. I wish I knew how to post sounds because it really really works.As for the can,if it only produces a young bleat you're better off not using it

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
set your grunt for the young buck and try to sound like a cow in real time. start your call with a closed hand and slowly open it and then close it on the end. most times the note will be 5 count or there abouts. if using 2 note second is shorter.
tubeless calls or take the tub off is my pref, but most like the tube just go non aggressive. I say the word urrrrrrr make sure to drop off with the pressure at the end slowly if doing the single note or for double on the last note

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
dont leave the truck without the calls,sometimes they work sometimes they dont.if you try them and dont get a response just put them back in the pack for another day or another buck.deer are all different.i have called in bucks in september just lightly rolling a rattle bag on my palm.other times they dont even turn there heads.you'll never know if you dont give it a try.just dont go nuts.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Bleat the first few weeks of September. As others have said, don't over do it whether it be the use of the can or rattling. Go easy with it and give plenty of time between bleats, etc.

Good luck and hunt safe.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Deer are very vocal. I have a daisy deer call that bleats is wooden made with a rubber strip inside and works fabulously on fawns,does and bucks. Low pitched grunt has also worked and if you can mimic by mouth you can be very succesful bring deer to you from far out. The key is for them to hear it.

If I had to guess at my percentage definutly over 50% of the time I have called deer to me.

I never used a can or do I think I will with the calls I have i hope I never lose them they worked for me.

Keep experimenting thats what gives you knowledge.:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts