New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally filled my handgun permits. I picked up a SIG SP2022 and a Beretta Neos. I would like to introduce my 13 year old to the sport. Is there a good range that I can take him? We live in Union County. I do not mind driving an hour.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I believe Ray's on 22 is still open (range only), but you did say "a good range"!!
I *think* you had to be 18 to handle a handgun at Ray's range ... at least back when the store was open.

Maybe I'm wrong .... call ahead.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No range will permit a minor to handle a handgun in NJ.
Long guns are different because of the hunting element. Hand guns are considered "defensive weapons" where as a child would not have the need....

Not my idea, just the way it is....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Long guns are different because of the hunting element. Hand guns are considered "defensive weapons" where as a child would not have the need....

Not true, I take may 12 year nephew to Sure Shot in Lakewood all the time but I have stand behind him at all times. They won't allow him to shoot by himself but young kids shoot there all the time. Great place by the way but a little out of your range. I think Rays is closed.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Rays is Closed for good, even the range
I think they closed after some guy walked in there to shoot and commited suicide right there on the range![down]

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I think they closed after some guy walked in there to shoot and commited suicide right there on the range!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's against range rules. Don't want to sound cold, but glad he decided to go alone.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I think they closed after some guy walked in there to shoot and commited suicide right there on the range!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's against range rules. Don't want to sound cold, but glad he decided to go alone.
I never heard about this at Ray's. Back in the 1970's (or maybe the early '80's)there was such an incident at a place in Garfield....Centour Firearms I think....Maybe it was in Lodi.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hard too say because I've been there on weekends when I had to wait for a spot and other times when it was empty. A summer weekend when the weather is nice is probably best because I for one would rather be fishing or enjoying the outdoors.

I'm a member of SS, so before you go, call to make sure they allow non-members to bring a minor but if you plan on shooting at least 12-15 times a year, it may be worth to join.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts

Not true, I take may 12 year nephew to Sure Shot in Lakewood all the time but I have stand behind him at all times. They won't allow him to shoot by himself but young kids shoot there all the time. Great place by the way but a little out of your range. I think Rays is closed.
I think ANJRPC Cherry Ridge Range requires pistol shooters to be 18.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think ANJRPC Cherry Ridge Range requires pistol shooters to be 18.
That's true, I belong to CR also. SS also allows magnums and small caliber rifles but its not alot of fun shooting 223's at 25yrds. Restrictions may exist for non-members at SS, thats why I recommend calling first

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't know if Bullet Hole allows magnums bigger than .357. I do know that they allow shot gun patterning.

Alot of indoor ranges don't even allow the 357, like Old Bridge for ex. Almost everytime I go to SS, someone is shooting the 50S&W and a few times I was in the next shooting lane. I usually just stand back until he's finished having his thrill before I start. At almost $3/round, it doesn't take to long.[hihi]

BTW, you can rent guns at SS, even the 50S&W

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I don't know if Bullet Hole allows magnums bigger than .357
I stopped there on a busy Sunday afternoon, before I joined Riverdale Police Pistol Club, and had to contend with someone shooting a 5 1/2" barelled S&W .460 mag.

Garfield....Centour Firearms
I used to shoot there alot, back in the days before ventilation was invented. They were located right on Rt.46 East and you could rent a rattly old .45 or .38 with some cheap reloads. Guess we're showing our ages.[hihi]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Was a range officer years ago when I had the luxury of time. If you say that a range allows it, fine, but I can tell you that If they are ever caught by whom ever underwrites their insurance, they will cease to be a range, unless they can somehow convince someone to insure them after being caught.

Had two surprise inspections in a 16 month period. The cost of insurance for a range is insane, plus EPA, disposal, on and on....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts