New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a good call i can make on my slate call to get birds to cross a 50 yard wide creek, because they always roost across this creek and once again they were not crossing to my calling, so if anyone knows a good call to get them fired up in the morning enough to cross this creek let me know, [up]

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
That gobbler more than likely wont come across if he is already henned up. If hes been pushed out and really vocal you could get him to come across with some soft purrs and yelps nothing to aggressive or he will be expecting you to come over to him and he will hold up. I've seen as much as a log stop them from coming any further.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Unless the creek at the base on a hill with higher ground on his side it tough to get them crossing. You may want to try those birds late in the morning when the hens have left them. But a hot tom would do it to any call you made. I'd say wade the creek & set up on his side. Good luck

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
My suggestion is to set a couple decoys on your side including a struting jake. It depends if its public or private land on putting a strutting decoy out though. set back a little and call. this should grab his attention [up]

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on either side of the creek is very high ground so if i am standing on my side he is at the same level as me, so would u walk down the hill to the creek to set up, set up and call eye level with him, or try to wade through the creek to the other side?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
When I hunt southern states the birds will walk those banks picking up hens & NEVER cross. Fl birds are the worst for flying wide creeks & canals! Here in NJ I can get them to fly across to a lower bank at times. But there aren't many 75 yd wide creeks. But I cross to the other side & pull them along the bank. KaBoom!

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Natural impediments are set up nightmares. same with super thick hedgerows. You eed a clear path to success and dry feet for the birds. Live and learn. Maybe a solo bird might try it 20% chance of flying across water. Is the other side off limts:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts