New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv been bowhunting for 4 years now. i do carry a rattle bag and grunt calls, and sometimes will spray buck bomb. But only one time i called a deer in and it was with a rattle bag. have you guys had better luck with calling deer in? mabey im useing the wrong calls at the wrong time? i dont know

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I tend to save the grunt tubes, doe bleats and scents for mid-October through early December. My experience has been that those types of items typically work best when the heavy rutting activity starts to swing into full gear, although you may occassionally have some luck calling in a curious doe with some fawn bleats. Rattle bags however seem to work through all three seasons. It will usually bring in an agressive buck during the rut as well as spark their curiousity during the pre and post rut.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
In my opinion, nothing beats a good grunt tube. I called in about 20 bucks last year with a K&H rack blaster grunt tube.
edit. as Grits said, I use it during the late pre rut into the rut.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i have rattled in bucks on the 1st day of bow and called them in don't be to agressive rattle and call EZ

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I also use a bag. It seems to be the most effective For me during the month of October. Especially from the 15-30th. I have called in tons of bucks with the rattle bag. In fact you can see in the No limits outdoors video in scene eleven I just got done doing a sequence and two bucks came in and were sparring. Then I hit the grunt tube. Buck spins his head and comes in on a string. Then beds down 25 yards from me as he smells the doe in heat that I applied in the area. If you properly use calls and scent during the right times of year you can have tremendous results. it's not magic but it definitely works.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
For early season noyjing beats the fawn in destress call
my favorite[up]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Fawn bleat can call, i break the can and remove the bag and blow on it instead of tunring that stupid can upsdie down, it gives you longer,shorter and more controlled bleats, works awesome in ealry season, etrus doe bleat can call also works good from the early stages of the rut all the way till post rut. MY grunt call (HS truetalker) has helped me kill more bucks during bowseason then any other call. I've personally never had any luck rattling in nj. My father has here and there but i usually dont rattle period mostly because the areas where i hunt the buck to doe ratio is wayyy out of wack and has never been effective for me. As far as scents go i've had great luck with smokin scent sticks as well as trails end 307.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I am also a huge fan of the true talker it inables you to make a variety of sound with one call without adjusting anything.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I have called in more deer ascending up into the tree with my climber that I have with bleets or rattling. Seriously, if I have killed let's say 40 deer in the last 10 years, I would estimate 5-7 of those deer were shot with bow or shotgun or muzzy within my first 10 minutes up in the tree. I swear sometimes shimmying up the tree in my climber resembles a buck's noise scraping a small bush or sapling. My hunting buddy has experienced the same every once in a while. Almost like the deer are coming to investigate the interesting noise....

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
the sound of your climber mimicks the sound of a buck scratching it's antlers against the tree. I've seen hunters make a similar like sound with rattling horns up in the stand they literally scratch the rattling horn against the tree. almost the same thing your doing when u climb. Deer are very curious creatures. I know a guy that owned a farm he figured out the deer would come out of the woods to the field edge like clock work when they heard his tractor running. He would drive the tractor up to the field edge leave it running and jump in his stand. Sounds crazy but it worked.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
During the rut a good fart will have them coming, i rattled a few bucks in and theres nothing more cooler than hearing crashing threw some thick stuff to check you out[up] 1 time sounded like a truck ripping threw the hedgerow[hihi]

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have called in more deer ascending up into the tree with my climber
Happened to me also when I hunted zone 11 and the guys in the club bitched about how much noise I made climbing. I would sometime see deer within 10 minutes. Plus when you hunt in farm zones those deer are use to hearing noise early when the farm machinery is in use. I don't think they can relate the noise in their pea brain to the sight of a hunter climbing a tree.

I like a grunt tube I have stopped deer and turned them around. The first time I heard a deer grunting I was sitting on the ground by a rock wall and said to myself Is that some a-hole behind me walking through the woods grunting? His antlers are now part of my collection. There is no better teacher that actually hearing a deer grunting.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Most guys rattling don't do it long enough, and depending on the season often enough.

I have been in a stand bowhunting 100 yards from a friend. I saw a buck in the distance and told him to rattle. The buck immediately came running. He stopped then the buck stopped. I called him on the radio and told him to rattle again. The buck again started moving towards him again.

I think most guys that don't see it work have a hard time believeing it works in NJ.

It does. ----Just like on TV.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.