New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some questions about the how's, when's, and what's about calling deer with some sort of device. I've been using a Truetalker and The Can and haven't had any success whatsoever so far. In fact, I was out Saturday 9/17 and saw a deer about 40-50 yds at 10 o'clock relative to me. It started walking away. I couldn't see the head, so I didn't know if it was a buck or a doe. So, I tried a soft grunt to see if it would turn towards. Well, this deer starting jogging away. What gives?

What am I doing wrong? How and when do you use which calls? I'm almost at the point where I'm about to leave the calls home since I'm thinking that they don't work at all.

Please help,
David

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I wouldn't start grunting for another month, Early season doe bleats or fawn in distress. Calls don't work all the time. I've had big bucks that were not coming my way stop and show interest but would only come into shotgun range. too bad it was bow season. When in doubt don't call. If you see one and it's never coming your way then you might as well try. Jersey buck calling isn't like Texas or tv. You might have sounded like a bigger buck and scared the little one off. You'd have better luck waiting for the rut. The little buck I called in sat. with the little can was just curious. Also the call is barely audiable. When calling go very softly unless it's raining or very windy. Hope this helps some. Ps. You would learn more if you picked up a tape put out by the companies whose call your using.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Calling is my favorite technique. Not many hunts go by that I dont use some sort of call. Whether it be a bleat, grunt, snort, wheeze, etc. I also use it whether Im still-hunting, stalking or stand hunting. Its probably helped me shoot more deer than any other method.

To be successful you have to know what sounds to make, how to make them, and how often.

Many people dont like to call blindly, but Ive had a lot of success doing it. Deer are very vocal, and very curious (usually). Therefore, deer out of your sight may be drawn in by a call.

This time of year, short doe bleats and light short doe grunts, buck grunts, and tickling the rattling antlers together works well. Dont get aggressive, just social sounds (like hey, Im over here, any other deer out there?)

As the rut approaches, try short hard rattling, grunting and rustle leaves (MAKE LOTS OF NOISE). When the peak rut, or just prior to it, is here go with estrous bleats, tending grunts, snort/wheezes, rustle leaves, break branches. Bucks chasing does make a lot of noise so make it sound real. They will come in, just stay alert, they usually slip in from downwind, or stand and watch for deer from a distance. If you move a lot they will pick you off while looking for the "deer" making all the noise.

Having a thick area below your stand or behind you is great, because they usually come in closer, realizing the "deer" might be obscured by the thicket. Calling in open areas works too, but deer usually hold up at longer range, and wont come in close enough for a shot. They expect to SEE the deer they hear! (thats when a decoy comes in handy)

Knowing how often to call is important too! While deer are vocal, they also dont keep talking all day long, nonstop!

One or two quick bleats every half hour or hour is plenty. (Time between calling sequences is dependant upon terrain) If you can see for a mile in every direction, call more often, because you will see deer responding to the call much further off. If you can hardly see 20 yards, call every 45 minutes to an hour. Deer are probably nearby and will hear the calls, but it may be a while till you see them coming. You dont want to blow calls at deer that are already responding either, because they will either spook or pin-point your location and bust you.

Deer that are going away may come into a call, but they may not. Some deer have their mind made up as to where they are going, and another deer is not going to change that. So dont get discouraged by deer that seem to ignore calls, they are probably just set on going somewhere else.

Learning what deer sound like is a little more difficult than any other part of learning to call. You can watch videos, or you can try to listen to deer at parks or in the hunting woods. I learned by listening to deer in the woods, and in my yard.

The two calls you listed are the same ones Ive had a lot of success with, and as long as you dont overcall, and dont call too loudly, they usually work like a charm.

Have confidence in your calling and you will call in deer! I know I usually wont hit the woods without some sort of call!;)[up]

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
When matty gets into a topic, boy does he ever ramble on!!! :D [up] I think his average post is like 500 words, but its too bad he knows alot about hunting, but cant actually come thru!!! J/k :D

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
(I think his average post is like 500 words.)
That would mean that Matty has posted over 1,000,000 words already on this site.) He's at 2005 posts.Take a breath Matty.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For what it's worth Matty, I appreciate the long worded answer.

Can anyone recommend any good videos? Preferably DVDs.

David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Wordy huh? Well I'll have to have a word with you about that!:p:D

2005 posts JR? What a coincedence, everyone has that many and it just happens to be the YEAR we signed up!:p;):D Check the number above it.;):D

Oh and by the way, I dont choke, Im telling you, its just bad luck. Lately everything around me seems to go wrong. I cant even go into it all or I'll exceed the word limit for individual posts. :D:p:D

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Grunts and bleats have both produced kills.Horn rattling(not super aggressive,more tickling tines) has produced my 2 biggest 8 pointer bow kills.

Snort/wheeze,I doubt that it would be sucessful where I hunt,it may send them running the other way...

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Matty you tell them.... YOU GOING FISHING WITH US??? Don't forget that tree stand... Maybe next week.....
Sorry no ocean fishing for me, not this year anyway. Just not something Im into. Doesnt excite me for some reason. I know, Im weird!:eek:

I do go trout fishing and b [no swearing please] fishing though if anyone wants to do that (not during hunting season though) Also want to get into musky fishing.

Rich, do you think we'll ever meet with this treestand? Seems like we've been saying next week for the past month.:D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Quote:
YOU GOING FISHING WITH US??? Don't forget that tree stand
What the Hell kind of fishing are you doing??????
I hear the captain now.

Hey Buddy! Why the hell are you strapping steps onto the tuna tower!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts