New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Califon-Style Winter Sucker Gigging" by Ken Beam - Fur-Fish-Game Article Dec. 2014

Fur-Fish-Game Magazine published an article I wrote on "Sucker Gigging" in this months December Issue! It was my first attempt at writing an article for a national magazine, so I`m pretty darn proud to have had it published!

If you don`t happen to get the magazine in your neck of the woods, you can order it here; http://www.furfishgame.com/(& it`s a buck cheaper as they don`t charge to ship it!)

So what exactly is Sucker Gigging??? Well here is one of the videos we shot that snowy Saturday last January on the South Branch of the Raritan River in Califon;

If you`d like to see more of our videos from that day & learn how Sucker Gigging is done, go to Sucker Gigging in Califon New Jersey with Ken Beam & guys from Califon NJ | Legendary Sucker Giggin` in Califon New Jersey!

Fur-Fish-Game5.jpg

FFG.jpg

I just thought I`d share with all of you guys & gals on here, figuring you`d probably enjoy reading it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya MorrisBuck - Thanks for checkin` it out....... we smoke the suckers for seven hours. They`re excellent eatin`!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I do read that magazine so I will look for the article, I figured you would smoke em.....never had em but heard they are good smoked....and they do bite all year long.....

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Cool stuff Ken thanks for posting and Welcome aboard!!! I liked your Quail and Pike videos also.

Reactions: KenBeam

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Do you ever accidently mistake a Trout for a Sucker?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
That is cool Ken ,I ride the bike through Califon all the time .I stop at Shannons fly shop from time to time . You guys are right by the bridge . How thick does that ice get
there ?

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
WOW....That brings back old memories !!!
My sucker hooks and eel gigs burnt up in a barn fire ...some how they got lost before I could replace the handles.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
We called it sucker 'Hooking'...not gigging.
In the summer we would gig for frogs and eels.in the winter we sucker hooked

Didn't know anyone still did it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts