New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year my brother and I are going to South Carolina for a 3 day deer hunt. In SC you can use a rifle. My question is, what caliber is the best for deer. I have always wanted a 30-06. Would that be a good choice?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
30-06 is a great choice.I now use a 7mm and I love it. I used to shoot a 270. That one is a great gun for long open terrain. So any of these 3 will do the job well.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
There are a great number of good cals for whitetails. Some of it depends on what type of country you will be hunting in. Some depends on the size of the deer you will be hunting.

Need a bit more info to give a good constructive answer. Although the answers above are right on.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of terrain you gonna be shooting in.
Not sure. Right now i can only go by the brochure and the website. But it does say something about food plots. So i would think it is alittle bit of woods and fields.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Can't go wrong with a 30.06 but sometimes a magnum is nice for the real long shots.I think the 30.06 is the King of all calibers,it gets the job done! [up]

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
All mentioned calibers will take a deer without any issues. I own a few of them.If I personally had to buy 1 all around deer rifle and only 1, I would go with the following. I would choose a .308 in a carbine. I'd see if I could get it in a bolt. Only reason I say bolt is because there are a few states that allow only a bolt or lever. The .308 is very similar to the .06 and .270. However in the carbine it is a versatile brush gun but still gives you more than enough to reach out and touch them at 200yds. The .270 in a carbine would be an injustice to that caliber as it is a faster flatter shooter than the .06 or .308 and better at longer range such as out west. Remington makes the 742 or 7400 in a .308 carbine in a semi. ( Which I own and love). 30-30 is a great brush gun and good to 100yds. Whatever you buy I'd stay away from odd calibers. Reason being simple..if you ever forget your ammo or run out on a trip 30-30, .06, .270 or .308 can be found anywhere even in some local mom and pop convienience stores down south!! Some of the "non-standards" can be tough to find on the weekend in some podunk towns.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next question, After i get the gun, where can I sight it in? I don't know any place in NJ that you can shoot a rifle.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Remington makes the 742 or 7400 in a .308 carbine in a semi. ( Which I own).
Good luck trying to find one in .308,Remington only makes the 7400 carbine(18.5" bbl) semi in 30.06 and the 7600 carbine (18.5" bbl) pump in 30.06.I have the 7600 carbine pump in 30.06 and it's a sweet woods/brush gun.It's been that way for several years,the 30.06 is not available in carbine.You can get a regular 7600 or 7400 with the standard 22' bbl and that too is also a great gun.
I have a Rem .308 carbine but it's a Model Seven bolt action w/ 18.5" bbl,that too is an awesome rifle!
I also use .270 Win,.280 Rem,and 7mm/08 but for the long shots I prefer a .300 Win Mag or 7mm Wby Mag...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a Rem .308 carbine but it's a Model Seven bolt action w/ 18.5" bbl,that too is an awesome rifle!
I ALSO HAVE THE 7 IN 308 AND 243,ONLY WHIS I COULD USE THEM MORE.GOTTA LOVE N.J.
THE 06,270.308,7MM ALL GREAT

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I've used a Rem. Model 7 in 7mm08 with great success on Whitetails ans 2 Maine bears. It's a handy gun with it's 18.5" barrel weighing in at about 6 1/2lbs. And it shoots accurate and flat enough for 250yds. shots ( easily )

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I used to love my .270 when rifle hunting in NY

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
30-06 great all around caliber, you can change your bullet weights for any type of shooting you will be doing. i love my rugar long action 30-06 took many deer with it. good luck[up]

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Ian,

that used to be my deer rifle in Upstate NY. Loved that Savage! Had a 3x9 tasco on it, shot very flat!

-dan

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ringneck - Check out the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs (ANJRPC) in Oak Ridge. They have a great setup for rifle shooting. You would have to join with range use. It cost @ $175 for the year.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
The .308 is very similar to the .06 and .270.
Theoretically the .308 is slightly more accurate and the 30-06 has slightly more knock down power. Unless you are a world cl [no swearing please] high power shooter I doubt you will notice the difference in accuracy. I have owned both and see no difference at my level of shooting skill. The supposed difference in knock down power, if there is really one, you will never notice on a deer size animal.

The .300win mag will give you a better long range shot because the heavier bullit is less prone to wind drift. Of course more knock down power also.

As someone mentioned any of the calibers mentioned will work nicely for deer. The much maligned .30-.30 probably has killed more deer than any other cartrige. Someone said anything from .270 up is fine. I would include the .243 and 25-06. These are necked down versions of the .308 and 30-06 respectivly.

Someone also said stay with a lever or bolt. I agree with that also. Pensy does not allow semi auto for deer hunting.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Pre 1981 Remigton had the 742. Post 1981 it became the 7400 the .308 is available in a carbine in both models. Remington presently still manufactures the 7400 in that caliber and as a carbine. Tough to find but out there. I have heard starting in 06 the 7400 will no longer be manufactured not confirmed jus heard. The great deer rifle debate is always a good one. All of the calibers mentioned will drop a deer quicker than family would come out of the woodwork if you won the lottery. Provided the shot placement is correct. Good luck choosing and let us know what you get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts