New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question if anyone is familiar with cable TV hokups.

How many times can you split a cable without degrading the signal?

I bought a house in June, and the den, living room and 2 of 3 bedrooms are all wired for cable.

You guessed it--I want a cable into the 3rd bedroom which is going to be my home office. The easiest way seems to be splitting the cable going into the den.

Ideally, I'd then like to split the cable into the 3rd bedroom AGAIN so I can have a TV and my cable computer modem.

Comcast doesn't have a problem with you splitting the cable inside the house, but they're God awful expensive for running a new line from the street.

Any ideas or suggestions here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
JerseyBob - I had a problem with mine when split in the bedroom for both Tv and Cable Modem. I was running into issues with the modem syncing up. I think you run into degradation after so many feet of wire. I called Cablevision after having problems with my modem and bedroom tv with snowy picture. Cablevision actually came out and ran all new wire from the fiberoptic in the street up to the house and then rewired the entire house with all new coax. What they did was split the main where it reached the house and ran one load for the tv and the other for the modem. I now have no problems with tv or modem. I guess you could give it a try and see if you have a problem.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You lose 5-10 DBs on every split with a good splitter, don't use cheap splitters like the kind you buy at Radio Shack.If you split 5 times then you should put an inline amp in.Also be sure to use caps on any open port.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...lets see how she goes.

I walked outside a while ago w/ a flashlight. I have one wire coming in with 3 splits, and one coming in without any splits. (The one I'm on now). I can extend the 2nd one that I'm on now by splitting it and running it 20 ft.

If I want a 2nd connection for TV in the room, I'm thinking snaking something from 2nd bedroom to office may be the best bet, given what I've just read.

Thanks for the input!

[up][up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If you split 5 times then you should put an inline amp in
That is what I was going to suggest.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I used to work for cablevision installing the cable modems and they can be finnicky. THe best thing to do would be to run a direct line from where the drop from the street enters your house, especially if you're going to split it again in the bedroom for a modem and a TV. And like DBuck said, don't use the cheap radio shack splitters, they can block the return signal from the modem, making the modem useless. One trick is if you see a cable guy doing service in your neighborhood, go up and ask him for a few splitters, we used to carry dozens and most of the guys I worked with never hesitated to help if asked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.