New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EAST RUTHERFORD -- The 160,000-square-foot Cabela's hunting and outdoors store at the Meadowlands Xanadu complex is not expected to open prior to late 2010, Cabela's chief executive officer said today while reporting corporate earnings, according to a report on northjersey.com.

Cabela's is expected to be a key anchor store for the massive Xanadu retail and entertainment complex, which was slated to open this year, but has been delayed indefinitely amid funding concerns
During a conference call this morning, Cabela's Chief Executive Officer Tom Millner said the delays to the overall Xanadu project have forced the company to reschedule its store opening to late 2010.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
Cabela's is expected to be a key anchor store for the massive Xanadu retail and entertainment complex
if it everrrrr gets open it will def be the anchor for that shopping center..will bring in TONS of people

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
The 160,000-square-foot Cabela's hunting and outdoors store at the Meadowlands Xanadu complex is not expected to open prior to late 2010
Look closer. Not expected to open prior to late 2010. In other words, don't hold your breath...

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Im not even excited about it anymore. Its just keeps getting pushed up.

I was pissed when Xanadu was picked from the beginning (for personal reasons of course). I wanted to see a 3/4 to 1 mile Nascar track instead[ko]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
No-Way, they have Watkins Glen in Up-State New York.
NASCAR was and still is looking for a location to put a track with a clear view of the NYC sky line. The meadowlands is one of a few properties that they had their eye on and it fell through for one reason or another.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Will still go to PA if/when it does open.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Number 1 I'll believe it when I see it.

Number 2 I don't think I want a Cabelas here. It will put out of business all the local hunting/fishing stores we have been doing business for years. Personally I have a degree of loyalty to shuch places as Frank's Tackle, Davis Sport Shop, Simon-Peter et.al.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I heard one of the major hold-ups, even before the economy collapsed, was the fact that NJ politicians in N.jersey were pressuring them not get thier FFL licence to sell firearms so Cabela's told them to stick it and they wil take thier store to another state [down]. That's like telling a new liquor mart you can open, but you can only sell soda. Only in NJ.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I wonder if it is going to be like all the other cabelas or if it is going to be like a regular walmart vs a super walmart same stuff just less to chose from

·
Registered
88 Posts
The story goes like this cabelas will not go in to the mall unless it has a 60% lease ,as of now they have not leased one store. It is shaping up to be the largest building loss ever.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
the fact that NJ politicians in N.jersey were pressuring them not get thier FFL licence to sell firearms
You would think in today's economy "our" elected ones would kiss Cabela's butts for the tax ratables and the jobs. Companies like this are a gift, especially when many other retailers are going down for the final count. Don't mean to drift here, but could never figure out why many local officials give new commercial/retail businesses such a hard time at startup. They're great, they pay lots of local taxes, don't have any kids in the local school, really don't need much in the way of services from the municipality and most likely provide some locals with jobs to boot.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I heard one of the major hold-ups, even before the economy collapsed, was the fact that NJ politicians in N.jersey were pressuring them not get thier FFL licence to sell firearms
That is correct, as I heard, Xanadu approached Cabelas about not selling any "weapons" at the store. Obviously that would not work. Also, Xanadu has had other setbacks. Firstly, the indoor ski/snowboard slope had to be redesigned/rebuilt twice, due to the fact that it would support the snow, but not people on the snow. Poor design due to wind problems with the supports. Also, the building is infested with squirels for some odd reason???!!! and none of the anchor stores are willing to put in their year or so's rent to fund the build. Supposedly, all work has stopped on the project, and there is no resume in the near future expected.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts