New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a shotgun for the first time since I finally got my firearms id card the other day. I was thinking the rem. 870 would be a good choice. It is inexpensive and seems pretty durable. i have a few questions for you guys...1. Which sportshop would you suggest going to to get the gun? 2. I want the combo they offer that comes with the field barrel and rifled barrel but I see that the rifled barrel only comes with iron sights and I want a cantilever mount for my scope. Who offers after market barrels or does remington make a rifled barrel with cantilever scope that fits the 870? I guess these are questions that I could ask when I get to the sportshop but I wanted some input from someone who isnt tryin to sell me somethin. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Get a H&R single shot for the slugs. The gun is awsome and inexpensive. $200 for the gun plus whatever scope you want to mount on it. I pent $315 and am shooting 1-1 1/2 in groups at 100 yards. By the time you spend money on a new barrel it will be worth it.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is something to think about as well...Where did you get your gun? i am willing to drive for good prices/service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got mine at Rays Sport Shop in North Plainfield. My friend got his at Harry's in Robinville. He spent $335 for gun, scope and case as a package. I see alot of these at the shooting range. Ballisticly the 20 ga is better but I like having the 12 ga.

B

·
0 Posts
Look into the Mossberg 500 combo, as it comes with the cantilever/rifled barrel

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I've got an 870 with the original barrel that has an old fashioned poly choke, and a slug barrel with open sights to which I have installed a see through scope mount to the reciever. My cantileverded barrel is on the 1100. But Rem. does make a fully rifled cantilevered barrel for the 870'.just check Cabella's or B [no swearing please] Pro. I just saw it. As far as a gun dealer Once you go Meltzer's you will go nowhere else sir.'s. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with forkhorn about the H&R. I have the 20ga and it's an AWESOME gun. I was going to go with the 12ga, but decided on the 20, and I'm glad I did. I have taken 7 deer with it in the last 2 years, out to 100yrds, and dropped all but 1 of them. I also have the 870 super mag which is another great gun.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
ive bought many guns from many dealers. meltzers is one of my favorites. the REM 870 is my favorite hunting gun and the H&R 20 ga slug and .223 rifle are excellent. cant beat it for the money. if you go to meltzers tell them WIZNER sent you..you might get a little break on the price.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
When you buy a gun check out a site called GUN TEST MAGAZINE.They give you a honest review of all guns.If they test one that's junk they will tell you not to buy it and why.They charge a small fee around $10 but it saved me a few hundred when I bought mine.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Remington 870 all the way,much more reliable than a Mossberg...Plus the 870's trigger is way better,this will help you out when shooting slugs.
The H&R is a good gun,but remember it's only a single shot.With all the hunters crammed into this state,often a quick 2nd or 3rd shot will be helpful in putting down a wounded deer before somebody else gets it!:

B

·
0 Posts
That Remington 870, and the Mossberg 500 are really great guns, I wouldn't say one is more reliable then the other. Remington isn't the same company as we all knew it was. I have 3 Mossbergs, 2 model 500s in both 12 & 20 ga and both for deer, and 1 model 835 for both deer & turkey all have served me well, very accurate guns, my Remington 11-87 SPS is for deer/bear another accurate gun. But if you compare each 870 vs the 500 I feel the 500 is a better deal and you get more for your $$$$, you can get the 500 combo with the cantilever/rifled barrel for well under $400

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just lookin online at some other pumps and was wondering what you guys thought of the benelli nova and the browning bps. Do any of you own or have experience with either of these. I know they are more expensive than the remington and mossberg. Also I see that the bps is bottom ejecting. Anyone have any experience with either of these guns?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Ok, here's my hand at this topic. Both the 870 and the 500 are offered in the combos you are looking at. But from I've seen, not many shops carry the 870 combo with the cantilever scope. I personally bought the 500 combo for a few reasons: 1) I am lefty. The tang safety lends itself lefties. 2) I couldn't find a store that carried the 870 combo with cantilever scope. It would've had to be special ordered. 3) The 500 comes with an interchangeable comb which keeps you on track when you are using either barrels.

The 500 is a little less expensive, but that didn't matter to me. Good luck.

David

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've read this post a few times but haven't chimed in. Just about everything I've heard hear is good advice but some (if not most) of it is based upon opinion. Keep in mind, what one guy shoots great another won't. And the same model guns will shoot different groups/patterns from the factory. What it really boils down to is what you want/like and what you can afford. Both the 500 and the 870 are dependable guns from reputable companies. The have plenty available for them in the aftermarket (fiber optic sights, scope mounts, etc). In my mind you can't go wrong with either one.

So my advice, go to a gun shop and handle both. You'll find that the 500 has a sloppier action than the 870, but I bought the Mossberg 500 for some of the reasons listed hear.

EDIT: I own both guns, but bought the 500 first... and keep coming back to it for deer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts