New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that we cannot buy crossbows? Even with a NJ firearms ID card?

Just wondering... someone was trying to tell me the other day that I cannot purchase crossbows in NJ.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Can't hunt with them though.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'll let you know about the crossbow handicap permit thing in a couple of weeks - Have had Bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome since 1997 - The symptoms have gotten worse over the years, and after five operations (recovering from one in Oct. 2004) - Getting an Rx from my Dr. tomorrow for a Crossbow Permit Evaluation. My physical therapist, having performed quite a few evaluations, says that I should be able to qualify without any hitches....It used to be sports injuries up until 1997, now at 41 it's injuries from computer usage...Of all things !!! ....I asked the DR. if "Secretary's Spread" is the next ailment to look forward to!!!! LMAO

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
outlaw how did it go with the evaluation? i have a friend of mine that is disabled...he wants to do the same thing ...how do you go about being evaluated?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My Dr. signed the authorization paperwork (found on the F&G Form site http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/disinfo.htm, and I am going to be evaluated by my physical therapist on or about March 16th.

You have to send in the evaluation form along with the Dr.'s authorization between January 1st and August 31st of the year (Note - There is a note on the F&G site that says that this date has been extended). The forms are self explanatory.

I do plan on buying the crank - 16# cran (?)- listed in Cabelas's for around $139.99.

Found out from Outlaw that once the crossbow is loaded, it has to be discharged into a traget, if not into a deer. It appears that there is going to be somewhat of a learning curve to shooting the crossbow.

I also found out that since crossbows are not that hot of a selling item in NJ archery shops, since owning them is about all you can do with them in NJ (outside of the disabled hunter permit), deals can be made to purchase them at a reasonable price.

Will keep all interested posted on how I make out with the process.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The "Laser helps Carpal Tunnel" link that got posted on this page (highlighted in green area - Ads by Google)is pretty good. It describes the therapy that I'm waiting to get authorization for from Worker's Comp. Insurance. ML830 Cold Laser Therapy is FDA approved and is said to be 75 - 85% effective in reducing pain and healing nerve damage caused by Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and subsequent surgeries. It is non-invasive and you can continue to work without disruption!!!!

This may help some of you guys who suffer from hand, wrist, arm and shoulder pain while working or hunting - My Dr. charges $150.00 per treatment, with recommended 8 - 12 treatments, but there are Chiropractors and Accupuncturists who are all offering this treatment for around $50.00/treatment.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Two Doctors and an Occupational Therapist have certified that I am eligible for a NJ Disabled Hunter's Crossbow Permit. Range of motion testing and the 9 Hole Peg Test required by the state confirmed my eligibility beyond the reason of a doubt. I mailed the application and supporting documention to the State on March 31, 2005. I'm now waiting to see how long it takes for the approval process.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Going on the fourth week since I sent out my disabled hunter crossbow permit application and documentation - No reply back from NJ F&W, yet!!![confused][mad][sad]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yup. I got the permit shortly after that last post in April 2005.

I purchased a TenPoint Pro Elite with the ACUdraw crank built into the rear stock from Targeteers the day before the regualr season opening day.

During regular bow and permit bow I shot 6 deer with it. It took a while to get comfortable with it, but now I'm proficient enough with it to take 40 yd. max. shots.

One thing that people don't realize is that, other than the "bow" already being cocked back and ready to fire, there is very little advantage over a conventional compound bow. Actually there is little difference in ballistics. The crossbow bolt at 20" in length actually loses power faster than an arrow shot from a compound bow at 30 yds.

Check out the following video:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/product_features/photos/pages/pf_tenpointcrossbows_int.html?&cmCat=tenpointdoor&cm_ven=ven&cm_cat=tenpoint&cm_ite=tenpoint

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/

JT

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Ask Tony. Eljafe he knows and has one he hunts with. i hate to think I might have to go to it soon my self.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
my father just received his permit for a crossbow no we can bow hunt together for the first time next season. [up]

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Just about everyone in NJ sells 'em: Harry's, Sportsman's, Dick's, Ray's,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts