New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a nice doe this weekend and bought her home and butchered her up the same day and had my kids grind the meat. My dad taught me how to butcher a deer and that it is part of the hunt and I am teaching my kids the same! He said if your going to shoot it be prepared to do the work and I do and love it .it makes you appreciate the meat when it's on your plate.Thanks dad for teaching me everything about hunting!( bushden)
Machine
Tree Fun Plant Leisure

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Be careful to allow the body to fully cool before you butcher. If that requires packing the whole carcass in ice then that's what you have to do. Butchering/deboning meat while the meat is warm will make it tough.

·
Super Moderator
9,805 Posts
Nice photo's.[up] All three of my kids were grinding meat as soon as they could stand on the chair also! I always skin mine "hot" if I can, comes off so easy. If it is cold out I may let the skinned deer hang for a few days wrapped in a sheet and kept dry, but usually I cut it up warm and then debone, wrap up the steak meat and freeze. I put the meat to be ground on a board and place it in the freezer to firm up,(almost frozen),before grinding.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My 89 year old grandfather worked for a big butcher company in the Bronx for many years and retired at the young age of 80 (don't know the name of the place ) but he taught me and still teaches me how to butcher it every time I bring him one. He loves it. It is so nice to involve the family because it makes the memories that much sweeter. Congrats!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also butcher my deer myself, I figured I could keep the $85+ in my pocket, or use it to purchase more equipment, gear, etc. For those of you that are interested, but a little hesitant, there are plenty of how to videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I didn't know most guys didn't butcher their own deer for the most part till I came on this site and was surprised at how many never even tried. My father taught me the basics as a little kid and my grandmother taught him. It's a proud feeling when you pull the meat out the freezer and you know exactly where it came from, what it looked like, where its been, knowing why you cut that piece that way, what muscle it was and where it's going to be shortly. Every hunter should know how to do it IMO because its not hard and is really part of the hunting itself. You can still take the pieces YOU choose to the butcher for the real specialty items to be made at a much cheaper price. The biggest excuse I see is the "no place to hang it" which I suppose in some cases is legit but most people have a tree or know someone who does. I also concur the most time consuming part is the packaging and that can be done while sitting watching a football game.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.