New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is butchering a bear the same as a deer?
Just separating the muscles and trimming?
I shot my first jersey bear on monday and I can always just take it to the butcher I use which is very good and cheap, but I'd like to learn how to do it on my own first.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
its about the same just a bigger one I would take it to the butcher

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
You shot your first bear on Monday, & are just starting to think about butchering it today?!?!?!?

Unless you stripped the hide off & got that carcass into a walk-in cooler on Monday, you're in for a very unpleasant surprise.

"It is critical to remove the hide and cool the
bear immediately after checking the bear. Cool-
ing a bear with ice from inside the body cavity is
inadequate to prevent the meat from spoiling. If
the hide remains on overnight, the meat may be
unsuitable for consumption."

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2014/dighnt56-69.pdf

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You shot your first bear on Monday, & are just starting to think about butchering it today?!?!?!?

Unless you stripped the hide off & got that carcass into a walk-in cooler on Monday, you're in for a very unpleasant surprise.

"It is critical to remove the hide and cool the
bear immediately after checking the bear. Cool-
ing a bear with ice from inside the body cavity is
inadequate to prevent the meat from spoiling. If
the hide remains on overnight, the meat may be
unsuitable for consumption."

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2014/dighnt56-69.pdf
I raise pigs and butcher them, I have a walk-in cooler. No surprises here, just asking a simple question.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Yeah, I've actually never butchered a deer, but done several bear. I like to quarter them, it's easier to work with. Take the backstraps out, and yes, pretty much follow the grain of the meat. The back legs make greats roasts... hams, etc things to make corned bear or pastrami with. The thinner muscle that runs a long the legs cuts into medallions really nicely as well.

Reactions: alecsZ7

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
no big deal if you butcher pigs your ahead of most of us! I have butchered a few pigs but just a few at the farm. I know the comments seem tough sometimes but skinning and cooling a bear quickly is important ( which I am sure you know since you butcher pigs) I have butchered dozens of deer and I have no more science than what you just said cut meat off bone cut out fat works! [up]
congradulations on harvesting the bear! [up]

·
Registered
531 Posts
if you have already skinned it and stripped the fat the hardest part is over. Butchering them is a breeze from that point on muscles are well defined and separate very easily a walk in the park at this point.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Unless you peeled the hide AND the big fat layer, expect some rancid meat where it touches all of that fat if all you did was to skin it and hang it in a cooler. I hung my last bear for 5 days, but I immediately took off the hide and trimmed off all of the external fat. Otherwise, just like a deer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts