New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Killed a 5pt last night butchered him up today.
I lost one shoulder due to shot placement (them Rem copper solid slugs due some damage) but still ended up with about 30lbs of meat. I left the backstaps whole as they freeze better this way. I did two roasts one sirloin tip roast and a boneless rolled neck roast.Cut a couple pounds of cutlets and some stew and a couple steaks. then ground the rest as I go through a lot of ground in the summer.Then vacuum packed everything up. Took about 3 hrs including cleanup.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You Sir are a professional. Nicely done. [up]

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
That's the way I normally do it too, with the move this year it's been tom the butcher, but when i get all settled....paul's free ([tasty]) butcher shop is opening up....

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Great job. I did the same thing last night with my sons deer. I skinned and quartered it up Monday and cut and packed it yesterday.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
great job... i do mine also.. what vacuum bag machine do you use or recommend?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Excellent job! I got a grinder and stuffer on my xmas wish list so if all goes well I'm gonna start doing my own butchering next season. What would you say is the most difficult part of the DIY job ?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
What would you say is the most difficult part of the DIY job ?
I used to hate wrapping, vacuum sealer will solve that.

I also used to use a meat saw down the back bone and that required a helping hand, not necessary just bone out the tenderloins.

The cuts are not dificult but making steaks is much easier if the meat is almost frozen, so I put the hams in the freezer for half hour then slize steaks.

Toughest part is really having cold hands, tired from hunting and then the clean up, removing all the dam hair from the meat, disposing of hide,legs,head etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts