New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out this morning and kicked up 6 rabbits shot at one. man are they fast how do you guys hunt them if your by your self as i was or is it better with a couple of guys
ps i do not have a hunting dog

·
11,226 Posts
I never use a dog... You need to do a lot of stopping and starting going through the thick stuff. When you stop they get nervous and think you see them. Plus when your not moving you can pick up their movement and sound a lot better. They don't give you much time so you need to use all your senses to you advantage! The other thing to remember is SHOOT! Don't wait for a perfect clear shot! Chances are your not going to get one! Follow the movement and fire at that rabbit! I shoot like a mad man when rabbit hunting! I also kill a lot of bunnies! You can't over think your shot or the rabbit will be gone. Let your instincts take over and kill that bunny!
When working thick cover try and position yourself in a spot that will offer you at least one good shooting lane before kicking the brush. If you get one or two more guys you have a much better chance of someone being open for a shot!
Recap: Stop and start a lot! Try to keep yourself in position for a shot before kicking a brush pile and don't over think your shot and let the led fly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts