New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont post here often. When I do its because Im stumped on what I should do. This is one of those occasions. Ive been watching this bachelor group coming out about 80 yards away from where I set a hang on. They come out feed and head into a corn field. Tonight I decided to move down the field and set up with a climber. As Im walking to the only tree I could set up in they jump up and take off to another corn field [wallmad] I pulled out completely and left the area. This area is a funnel with a creek in between 2 corn fields. Question is will he come back to the area or did I just ruin my chances at this buck? How long should I rest it before trying again? I made a mistake I know. Just want to know how bad.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Depends on pressure in the area.
Some spots they will be back in 20 mins- other spots they will never come back.
Odds are they will be back- don't sweat it. Hunt there and see.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know Im the only one hunting in this area. So really no pressure. I usually hunt a 2 to 3 days on stand 3 to 4 day off stand rotation. Dont go in there in the mornings usually.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I killed a nice 8 a couple years ago. I bumped him while I was walking out after a morning hunt, I guess around 10ish. I got back in the tree at 2ish, and he was dead by 3ish. Don't be discouraged, get back out there and hunt! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I killed a nice 8 a couple years ago. I bumped him while I was walking out after a morning hunt, I guess around 10ish. I got back in the tree at 2ish, and he was dead by 3ish. Don't be discouraged, get back out there and hunt! Good luck.
I did the same thing. Bumped him coming out of the woods along a corn field around 10:30, hung a stand within 100 yards from there and shot him at 4:30 that afternoon.

So, if there's isn't alot of pressure in the area, I'd say don't sweat it, he'll be back.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
He is still in the woods. I think how much it affects is how much he has been hunted in the past. He Might Be In A Different Pattern But he won't leave his home range.

Last year in ohio, a guy missed 180" buck at ten yards by shooting over his back. Hunted in different stand the next day, then back to the original stand last day of the hunt and shot him at 15 yards.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Just you?,No biggie,probably did a rabbit on you right back where you jumped him.Stay out of the bedroom,go back where you were originally for more observation,be patient give em time best is yet to come,everytime you approach set up check the wind,it ain't right pull out.oct/nov rut if you don't whack em before that,little perfume low grunt,good luck!

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Your strategy depends on how you get in and out without spooking the boys. As the days get shorter you need to plan on getting in earlier too. Hopefully the pattern doesn't change but it won't stay the same much longer so plan to get back out. I saw rain in the forecast for Thursday if that helps quiet down your entrance and exit take advantage of it. Big fields are a blessing and a curse. You can see 40 and not shoot any. In any case if you take alternate routes in or out do it. Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
last year I shot a deer, the herd ran away, as I dragged the deer 25 yards to the field from out of the woods, the rest of the herd was already eating in it again.
Good luck with this buck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. I approach the area down a wash through standing corn. Its a pretty quiet approach. I guess I will stay in the hang on and hope eventually he will pass. Just hope Im in the stand when it happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts