New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this afternoon to check on a few spots, walked about 15 minutes through some 12 inch high weeds and stickers and had about 20 tics on my grey sweat pants. Checked myself ever 5 minutes and more each time. With this crazy weather, nothing is going to die off and this year will be bad for bugs. Need that cold snap, even the deer don't know whats going on, saw a bunch of scrapes and rubs and all the bucks here still holding those antlers.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Going out tomorrow to pull some cameras and do some scouting for next year. Also look for some sheds.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Too late for a deep long lasting freeze to kill the ticks. They burrow down a good ways into the soil, so it would have to be a long cold snap to kill any of them.
Farmers are already starting to disc the fields....spring is around the corner!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I'm waiting for the bear sightings to begin. Especially after today and tomorrow. We were hiking with the dogs on Sunday and there were BUGS. It's February. I want a winter already.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Make sure you spray, before goin in the woods. I didn't one time and now Im paying for it, antibiotics everyday.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I was hunting with my brother a few weeks back. We walked through the same crap while doing pushes. He had 12 tics on him... I had 1. I think it was his pants. They were sticking to him like glue and I think they were falling off me.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yea well with 60 degree days at the end of February, I don't think any cold snaps are coming soon.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Is there any proof that cold weather kills ticks in the first place? I think they just go dormant. I don't think temperature has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
not by my house they wont be. I ordered a dozen praying mantis egg sacks, so if all goes well I will have hundreds to thousands of praying mantis's around my home to destroy the populus of stink bugs, mosqitos, ticks and other insect vermin!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't think the cold kills ticks. No mater how cold it gets if it gets warm for even one day my dog gets ticks.[confusedagain]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I don't think the cold kills ticks. No mater how cold it gets if it gets
I've heard of people thawing out deer skulls only tpo have the ticks come out of hibernation. The only way to kill them besides pesticide is to dehydrate them in the dryer.

·
Registered
678 Posts
more time looking and checking your body for ticks than looking on the ground for sheds.dont even dare to check the heavy vegetation because of those little sonofabees.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Where do you order praying mantis eggs?
I buy mine for the garden from Mendham Garden Center (call first to make sure they have them) or from www.gardeners.com [up] Had good success with the mantis but more than half my ladybugs died [cry]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts