New Jersey Hunters banner

Bucks Sparing

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  shootemandmountem 
#1 ·
Sat the AM on some local state land in hopes of seeing a decent buck working an oak flat. The wind was just too much I believe? I got out of stand at 8 am and decided to creep back to the truck hunting my way out. Wind was perfect. About half way to the truck I catch movement and I saw a good buck. Couldn't get a count on the rack. Good frame deer prob 16" wide. He was on a mission, he was 80 yards out in front of me. As skipped rock to rock to catch up with him I realized he had stopped just about when I seen him. I knelt down and took a better look. There was a spike and smaller 6 or 7 sparing. This wasn't a full on battle, but it wasn't a tickle of the tines. They were pushing one another around 70 yds in front of me for several mins. The larger buck must have seen them sparing and simply B-Lined right to them to settle who was boss. Never got close enough for a shot. The deer ended up busting me. I thought it was really cool to see them spar like that. There ended up being several other deer in the area when they busted. Tails went up and running all over it seemed.

#2 ·
I watched a 6 and 8 lock horns for an hour this morning, then they circled my stand.. The 8 was nice - if I had a buck tag - would have made me think twice but would have gotten a pass... Never saw a doe... The deer are all spread out so many acorns..... I love a good acorn crop though - wouldn't change a thing...

Reactions: Buck154
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.